PDA

View Full Version : USB Transfer of files to iPad

Jimleko211
August 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I was wondering if on Linux, there is a way to transfer files to the root of the iPad (it is jailbroken), much like you can on mac and windows using iPhone Explorer.

tilapia
August 8th, 2010, 08:50 PM
You can probably do this if you enable SSH. You should then be able to use 'Places' > 'Connect to Server' and enter the SSH details.

forrestcupp
August 8th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I thought iPads didn't have USB capability.

Jimleko211
August 8th, 2010, 10:18 PM
@Forrestcupp: They're not supposed to. But you can if you use a program that allows it, such as iPhoneExplorer. You can then get into the root if you've jailbroken it.

I have solved my issue, by using a program named scp. It uses SSH as the base, I think, and it's a command line app, but it does its job well.

forrestcupp
August 9th, 2010, 02:31 AM
@Forrestcupp: They're not supposed to. But you can if you use a program that allows it, such as iPhoneExplorer. You can then get into the root if you've jailbroken it.

So it has a USB port?

Sand & Mercury
August 9th, 2010, 04:02 AM
So it has a USB port?
It can connect to a PC via USB but doesn't have any ports of its own (like the iPhone). You can transfer stuff to/from it, but you can't stick in a flash drive etc.

Jimleko211
August 9th, 2010, 04:20 AM
It can connect to a PC via USB but doesn't have any ports of its own (like the iPhone). You can transfer stuff to/from it, but you can't stick in a flash drive etc.
Exactly, that's what I mean. I mean plugging my iPad into the computer and then transferring files.

an0dos
August 21st, 2010, 04:15 AM
Exactly, that's what I mean. I mean plugging my iPad into the computer and then transferring files.

You can transfer files from a USB stick if it is jail broken and you have the camera connection kit. I believe the ifile app from the cydia store will work for that. Ifile also has a server function that will allow you to browse the file system on the iPad from a remote system using the remote system's web browser. Ifile also has a text editor and other useful features. Definitely worth checking into on a jail broken iPad. With a little work and some ingenuity you can use a jailbroken iPad as a laptop replacement.

abhi.datt
September 30th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Just install this AMAZING!! application called Goodreader from App store and you are sorted. (It is cheap even at 10 times its price, just proced at $ 0.99)
Not only it's an excellent document (PDF,DOC.etc) reader it provides the simplest way to connect to your iPAD by converting it into a WebDAV server instantaneously (over the WiFi).No USB required at all.

iPAD
On your iPAD click on the Goodreader icon > Connect to Servers > Click on the Wireless icon on the bottom panel
This will provide you the connect URL and port for your iPAD
For instance, in my case (http://192.168.1.2:8080)

Ubuntu
You can then goto Ubuntu > Places > Connect to Server... > WebDAV (HTTP) and give the IP Address and port that you get for above step.

That's all. Create new folders, put your PDFs, docs even video files.

I found this application extremely useful since I need not to go to Windows to transfer/manage files/folders nor I need to carry my USB stuff always.

I guess it can even handle images, but I need to still test that.

jfreak_
September 5th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Talk about bringing stuff back to life....

mikesalguero
September 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I am new to this forum, and to ubuntu so apologize if any questions I have are dumb!
I downloaded this app, and connected just fine.
I am trying to upload multiple folders at once; Goodreader doesnt have good documentation for ubuntu (10);
Got this error when I went to Places--Network--Ipad:

Error resolving "_webdav._tcp" service "Michael Salguero’s iPad" on domain "local". One or more TXT records are missing. Keys required: "u".

any thoughts?

Just install this AMAZING!! application called Goodreader from App store and you are sorted. (It is cheap even at 10 times its price, just proced at $ 0.99)
Not only it's an excellent document (PDF,DOC.etc) reader it provides the simplest way to connect to your iPAD by converting it into a WebDAV server instantaneously (over the WiFi).No USB required at all.

iPAD
On your iPAD click on the Goodreader icon > Connect to Servers > Click on the Wireless icon on the bottom panel
This will provide you the connect URL and port for your iPAD
For instance, in my case (http://192.168.1.2:8080)

Ubuntu
You can then goto Ubuntu > Places > Connect to Server... > WebDAV (HTTP) and give the IP Address and port that you get for above step.

That's all. Create new folders, put your PDFs, docs even video files.

I found this application extremely useful since I need not to go to Windows to transfer/manage files/folders nor I need to carry my USB stuff always.

I guess it can even handle images, but I need to still test that.

Thalarse
November 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Sorry to re-ressurect this thread, but i have the use of an ipad for a few weeks, and was hoping to add a few pdf files to it for my studies (and also copy the course notes onto my computer for later referal). I can connect the ipad to my netbook and it mounts on its own without any fuss, however i can't find the folder containing the pdfs.

The program on the ipad is called PDFReader Pro. My netbook is running 10.04 vanilla.

I tried looking at hidden folders (there aren't any), and still can't find the files. Am i missing something? I really wish the training company had bought galaxy tabs instead! haha

Anyway thanks for any advice.

*edit*

Never mind, it turns out that PDFReader Pro has a http server feature, which is pretty neat. Thanks anyway.

mage7
December 29th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Also, Calibre (downloadable from the Software center) supports transfer of books to iPad/iPhone over Wi-Fi through a similar http server mechanism.

ps: Sorry for re-re-resurrecting this thread, but i stumbled upon it while googling the same question, and i thought that this info might be helpful to others.

Uffish
April 21st, 2012, 07:34 PM
From the menu choose File > Connect to server. Put type = Webdav, Server = 10.0.0.3 or what the ipad tells you, port = 8080. Click connect. Worked for me.