PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I move from Fedora 12 to Ubuntu 10.04?

s1mp13m4n
August 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hello everyone. I have Fedora 12 on a laptop and I want to move to Ubuntu 10.04 without losing anything. How do I do this? I find that Ubuntu is easier to use day in and day out on my other laptop than Fedora 12 is. There seems to be more support and help on Ubuntu as well. Thanks you for the help. I know I can backup files I want to keep to an external drive and then restore them in Ubunto, but is there anything else I need to know? Will Ubuntu see the Fedora 12 install and import items like it does from Windows?

tripolitan
August 8th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Ubuntu and fedora are not compatible. You'll have to install 10.04 fresh! then transfer your data back to your HOME folder.
If you feel energetic and brave, during the Ubuntu install, assign a seperate partition for /home, this way, you can go back and forth between distributions and versions of the same distro without having to go through backups and restores...

Rubi1200
August 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Ubuntu and fedora are not compatible.
That is not entirely true; I have dual-booted Fedora and Ubuntu in the past without any issues (as long as you install Ubuntu after Fedora so that GRUB can do its thing).

@s1mp13m4n
You might want to consider dual-booting, which would mean creating partitions for Ubuntu.

Do you have the disk space, do you want this?

Will Ubuntu see the Fedora 12 install and import items like it does from Windows?

I honestly don't know or remember if this was an option.

Backing up to an external drive is always a good idea before playing around with installations anyway.

s1mp13m4n
August 9th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the help. Ubuntu 10.04 is up and running on the laptop and working just fine. I find Ubuntu easier to use day in and day out than Fedora. I mean Ubuntu found Nvidia drivers and my networked printer without any trouble. It just works and works well. No I am not a CLI geek but with Ubuntu you do not have to be.

tripolitan
August 9th, 2010, 06:17 AM
That is not entirely true; I have dual-booted Fedora and Ubuntu in the past without any issues (as long as you install Ubuntu after Fedora so that GRUB can do its thing.

as far as the OP's question/issue is concerned, there is not a shred of compatibility. Ubuntu will not append or upgrade a Fedora install. Having two linux distros as incompatible as debian and fedora on the same drive does not constitute compatibility, if so, we can say that Windows is compatible with linux simply because both reside on one hard drive. :)

tripolitan
August 9th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the help. Ubuntu 10.04 is up and running on the laptop and working just fine. I find Ubuntu easier to use day in and day out than Fedora. I mean Ubuntu found Nvidia drivers and my networked printer without any trouble. It just works and works well. No I am not a CLI geek but with Ubuntu you do not have to be.

enjoy, I was a CLI geek until I found ubuntu