PDA

View Full Version : [Solved] Reinstalling grub2 MBR from Live-CD

udippel
August 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM
:DGot a nice little netbook, Samsung N150, alas with W7 taking all four primary partitions, removed the fourth without a hitch, made an extended one, and put UNR 10.04 into it after shrinking the 3rd.
Ask me if you need details.

After reboot, I get the Ubuntu menu entries in grub, as well as two W7 (Vista, héhé!) loaders. After some days, I made a mistake, and instead of the one with the real W7, I started the one with the W7 recovery. No way to stop it at loading, so I waited for the welcome screen, where I clicked "no, I don't want to recover W7". Nevermind. Windows is Windows and overwrote the MBR. So at reboot, just a blinking cursor.

Question: How to write the MBR back? Without reinstalling?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
isn't a bad start, but my partitioning is more complex:
sda5 is boot
sda6 is swap
sda7 is root
sda8 is home
I am not sure I can do what is written there, since the mount will not mount boot and root. And if I mount both, oh well, maybe it works? I am not confident.

So what I did, I booted to the UNR thumb drive (Live-CD), and opened a console.
$ cd /mnt
sudo mkdir oldroot
sudo mkdir oldboot
sudo mount /dev/sda7 oldroot
sudo mount /dev/sda5 oldboot
(ls -l oldroot and ls -l oldboot showed I mounted the right partitions)
sudo -o bind oldboot oldroot/boot
(ls -l oldroot/boot showed the correct vmlinuz, initrd, etc.)
sudo chroot oldroot
I might need these:
# mount proc
# mount dev
# grub-install /dev/sda
(no error shown)
# exit
$ exit
Shutdown and rebooted, and everything was working again.

I really, really, don't know why the UNR Live-CD doesn't contain a recovery for grub. I wonder, if it was written cleverly enough, to just put back the MBR if I selected the correct partitions during an install, without formatting them? I don't think so.
Maybe I should file this as a RFE, that after partitioning, the user has a choice to just write back the MBR?

Thanks for a really great Lucid Lynx for netbooks (if you never tried, you wouldn't notice how much faster Ubuntu boots and reacts, compared to the included W7 home edition!)

Uwe

RamsesII
August 9th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Hello udippel,

Thank you for sharing this in the forum. I was looking how to fix the same issue for someone I know. I'll give a try to your way and let you know.

RamsesII

EricBaenen
March 3rd, 2011, 02:35 AM
I have a similar problem.

Samsung N110 with

recovery partition on sda1
WinXP on sda2
extended partition on sda3
Ubuntu 10.04 netbook remix on sda5 (ext4)
swap on sda6
/home on sda7 (ext4)

Somehow the mbr or grub has gotten corrupted (possibly a winxp update).

I've tried all the methods for redoing the mbr and grub2 but nothing has worked.

When booting from a usb stick with the ubuntu netbook remix - the chroot process fails when trying to run chroot

"chroot: cannot run command 'bin/bash': No such file or directory"

In searching the net it would seem the problem might be that the usb stick is formatted fat32 and not ext2, 3, or 4. But I don't know how to make a usb stick bootable when formatted ext2, 3, or 4.

Any thoughts?

udippel
March 3rd, 2011, 03:35 AM
I have a similar problem.

Samsung N110 with

When booting from a usb stick with the ubuntu netbook remix - the chroot process fails when trying to run chroot

"chroot: cannot run command 'bin/bash': No such file or directory"

Nothing to do with file systems. Your stick isn't okay. Try to recreate your USB-stick with the "Startup Disk Creator".

Good luck!

EricBaenen
March 3rd, 2011, 05:12 AM
Have recreated the usb stick with two different sticks, three different times - same result every time.

udippel
March 3rd, 2011, 05:29 AM
Never mind how often you did it. Something seems missing.
Take one of your sticks, open a terminal (console), and give us the output of items like:

which bash

ls -l /bin/b*

ls -l /