PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] GRUB Problems

Guerreiro
August 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Esteemed (K/X)Ubuntu'ers,

I need some help. I had a Samsung HDD (Internal) that crashed, was a fault of the store that sold it to me and they went bankrupt. I thought I buy an external HDD (Western Digital Elements 1.5TB) and boot Kubuntu from there, so I still use the computer till I buy a super nice one after USB 3.0 hit the streets.

The problem I keep having by booting of the external HDD is that GRUB keeps saying
error: bad filename

Can someone here please help me out how to install Kubuntu on a external HDD and make it boot correctly?

Have a nice day. :)

dino99
August 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM
check it with partedmagic

prepare your hdd first:

mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

gordintoronto
August 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM
During installation, specify manual partitioning. There will be a drop-down which shows SDA or HDA, select SDB or HDB instead, which should be your external hard drive.

After installation, set your BIOS to boot from the external hard drive.

Guerreiro
August 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
If it were that simple gordintoronto I would not ask for help. :) What I did was go and install, specify to use the whole disk of sdb1 (external one) sda1 being the internal one, and choosing advanced install Bootloader /sdb or should it be /sdb1 ?

dougalkerr
August 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Guerreiro

I think you need to name it sdb1. I had to give my USB key a number after the letters for it to be recognized. I have not booted from it though. The BIOS must accept booting from external. My laptop BIOS should but, when I set it to do this... it does not. Typical...

Good luck.

Guerreiro
August 16th, 2010, 11:25 AM
haha, yeah Linux is great, but when confronted with these sort of problems I tend to rip my hairs out ;)

Guerreiro
August 18th, 2010, 09:07 AM
This is not solved yet, but what I am going to do is run Katana over at hackfromacave and that works ( I tested it already) :D