PDA

View Full Version : What to do with your old PC ?

frenchn00b
August 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM
People are finding solutions ...

http://www.uphaa.com/blog/index.php/dell-apple-amd-intel-computer-notebook-imac/

Visibly UBUNTU has no name for those :(

Naiki Muliaina
August 8th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Love the caffine machine!

http://img.uphaa.com/uploads/61/cpu.jpg

Spice Weasel
August 8th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Some of those are great. :p

Ubuntu isn't on that list for a good reason, as a distribution it's one of the worst for putting on an old PC (by old I mean 7 years +)

NMFTM
August 8th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Ubuntu isn't on that list for a good reason, as a distribution it's one of the worst for putting on an old PC (by old I mean 7 years +)
Not even that old, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 with a GeForce 2 MX 400 and 512MB of RAM.

The computer was so slow I could barely do anything on it, and that was the default installation. The only thing I use it for is Seti@Home. And I turn Seti@Home off before I try to do something.

Zorgoth
August 8th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Donate it to me.

mamamia88
August 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I especially like the beer tap one

cascade9
August 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM
You know when you see a pic of a smashed motherboard and can identify it straight away that you've been playing with hardware too long. (last pic on that link, and its an asus A7A 266.).

Not even that old, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 with a GeForce 2 MX 400 and 512MB of RAM.

The computer was so slow I could barely do anything on it, and that was the default installation. The only thing I use it for is Seti@Home. And I turn Seti@Home off before I try to do something.

Original P4s (256k cache, 400FSB model) are so slow its not funny. They were made for RDRAM (which was horrificly expensive, and hard to get a hold of), the SD-RAM models were at least a little 'crippled'.

It wasnt untill the P4s went to 512k cache/533FSB that they were any good at all IMO, and the 1st decent models were the 1MB/800FSB versions.

Full ubuntu wouldnt be helping it either, I'd use debain Xfce, or a minimal install of ubuntu + Xfce. It gives the old P4s (and older systems) a nice boost. Doing that should give you a bit more CPU power for SETI as well.

Khakilang
August 9th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I use it to test other Distro like Lubuntu, xbuntu, Slitaz, Debian, Unity Linux, Tony Core, Crunchbang and whatever I can get my hands on.

NightwishFan
August 9th, 2010, 06:00 AM
The default Ubuntu desktop seems quite heavy, but Maverick seems to be much better in that regard. It runs snappy in a VM with 512mb of RAM.

Though note that the default install is by no means the end all, the Alternate installer is a very useful tool to get a command line only system and build from the ground up. I got Ubuntu to run in 64mb of ram using fluxbox (web browsing with Midori).

linux18
August 9th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I use it to test other Distro like Lubuntu, xbuntu, Slitaz, Debian, Unity Linux, Tony Core, Crunchbang and whatever I can get my hands on.
you should try my distro (see sig) its really fast and 100% ubuntu.

Quake
August 9th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Server baby!