PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] XFCE display issues with OpenOffice

ugm6hr
August 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I've been using Xubuntu 10.04 on my Mini 9 for a few months. No major problems, but this one is a little frustrating.

To reproduce:
1. Install OpenOffice on XFCE4 / Xubuntu
2. Launch OpenOffice Word
3. Select menu View->Zoom

The Zoom window opens, but is "see-through" i.e. nothing appears within the window, but you can see through it to whatever is behind. I have attached an example of the "Screenshot" app behind.

To correct:
1. Maximise, then minimize the Zoom window.

This also affects a number of other OO.org functions, including OO.org Base forms (which is very frustrating for me), although this displays windows in an even weirder fashion (see other screenshot attached.

Any ideas? I can't find this as a bug.

ajgreeny
August 8th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Compiz running or not? Seems like that sort of problem.

ugm6hr
August 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Compiz running or not? Seems like that sort of problem.

Nope.

compiz-core not installed, so can't even do that by accident.

cascade9
August 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I thought compiz as well, but that is ruled out.

It might be a Xubuntu issue. Using sidux ATM, Xfce version, fully updated, and I get the 'zoom' widow fine.

Xfce 4.6.2, OO 3.2.1

ugm6hr
August 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM
It might be a Xubuntu issue. Using sidux ATM, Xfce version, fully updated, and I get the 'zoom' widow fine.

Xfce 4.6.2, OO 3.2.1

Xubuntu 10.04 is XFCE 4.6.1 / OO 3.2.0

Maybe you are right. I'm going to boot into Gnome to confirm it is XFCE specific.

EDIT: Yep - works fine in Gnome. Clearly a XFCE feature.

cascade9
August 8th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Silly question, but you dont have the Xfce compositor turned on?

*edit- it would be interesting to see if a minmal Xfce had the same issue as (I'm assuming) xubuntu-desktop.

ugm6hr
August 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM
No - XFCE Compositor off (Window Manager Tweaks setting).

Just tried it on - still the same problem.

azertyh
August 8th, 2010, 06:36 PM
hi,
i have ubuntu 10.04 but installed xfce 4.6.1, just the window manager. no compiz, compositor on. no problem with the zoom in writer.

ugm6hr
August 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM
hi,
i have ubuntu 10.04 but installed xfce 4.6.1, just the window manager. no compiz, compositor on. no problem with the zoom in writer.

Hmmmm.... Maybe something Xubuntu specific...

Or related to my Mini 9 Graphics card.

Hagar Delest
August 8th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Never had any issue with xubuntu. Try the Sun version: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68)

ugm6hr
August 8th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Never had any issue with xubuntu. Try the Sun version: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68)

Waiting for someone to confirm they have the same issue before trying to fix it by messing with my system at this stage.

I quite like using apt for the update system.

Hagar Delest
August 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM
First time I see that issue in forums. I don't think you'll have any confirmation...

Try perhaps to reset your OOo user profile (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403) but don't transfer your personal data during the welcome process (if you had 2.x before), configuration files from the former version might corrupt the new profile.

Is it a standard installation of xubuntu?

ugm6hr
August 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM
It was Ubuntu + xubuntu-desktop. From the standard repo.

Renaming the user folder didn't change anything.

Hagar Delest
August 9th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure that installing the xubuntu-desktop packages in addition to an initial Ubuntu install is the same as a blank xubuntu install. I've experienced some strange things when doing that. I don't remember such bugs but small hints showing that the effect was not exactly from the current session.

jgratero
February 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Same issue over, here, Xubuntu 10.04, OpenOffice 3.2... Any updates on this one?

ugm6hr
February 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I never fixed it.
Ended up moving to Gnome when I upgraded to 10.10 - its no longer a problem.

scramblejams
February 17th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Same problem here. Not just maximizing but also resizing, does all sorts of weird things. I fled from Gnome because of some unrelated issues, and I like XFCE so I don't want to change. Enabling or disabling compositing hasn't helped.

The problem isn't necessarily Ubuntu-specific, I'm on Debian unstable. Don't know if it matters, but I'm using an Nvidia card with the closed-source driver. No other app I've tried seems to exhibit this issue.

Steve