PDA

View Full Version : For you US law people: Did I just blackmail someone?

WalmartSniperLX
August 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I've been trying to sell a guitar on craigslist and I get nothing but email replies from scammers. My friend and I have a game where we like to lightly 'mess' with them. However, this time I may have taken it too far. I didn't think about it until after I sent the mail. Here's what I said in reply to his obvious attempted scam:

"I have prepared a profile on your email domain, and the IP address in which you created it on (through your internet service provider) to report it to the authorities. With it, is a copy of your email below. Your name and local information is stated in the report as it was shown by your internet service provider. I only printed one copy and removed the digital copy from my hard drive. I can sell this report to you for $345 as you have offered. Please let me know if you decide on purchasing this one and only copy. Thank you and have a nice day. "

I made sure when typing this that I did NOT commit blackmail (or so I thought). I:

1) Did not threaten using any personal or embarassing information other than what you can obtain publically from an IP address

2) I left no 'conditions' that needed to be met

3) And my target recipient of the information was the authorities

It's rather bouncing around in my head right now.

NOTE: The 345 dollar price tag was a mock of his offer to pay more than what I asked for my guitar, which was 300

Dustin2128
August 8th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I've been trying to sell a guitar on craigslist and I get nothing but email replies from scammers. My friend and I have a game where we like to lightly 'mess' with them. However, this time I may have taken it too far. I didn't think about it until after I sent the mail. Here's what I said in reply to his obvious attempted scam:

"I have prepared a profile on your email domain, and the IP address in which you created it on (through your internet service provider) to report it to the authorities. With it, is a copy of your email below. Your name and local information is stated in the report as it was shown by your internet service provider. I only printed one copy and removed the digital copy from my hard drive. I can sell this report to you for $345 as you have offered. Please let me know if you decide on purchasing this one and only copy. Thank you and have a nice day. "

I made sure when typing this that I did NOT commit blackmail (or so I thought). I:

1) Did not threaten using any personal or embarassing information other than what you can obtain publically from an IP address

2) I left no 'conditions' that needed to be met

3) And my target recipient of the information was the authorities

It's rather bouncing around in my head right now.

NOTE: The 345 dollar price tag was a mock of his offer to pay more than what I asked for my guitar, which was 300
not a US law person, but the selling the report part I think would push it well into the realm of blackmail.

WalmartSniperLX
August 8th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly why im worried. If i just cut that line out, it wouldn't have elements of blackmail; it would be a statement to report to the authorities. I would appreciate any more input from anyone.

murderslastcrow
August 8th, 2010, 05:16 AM
It's hilarious, but I would've suggested a revision, since sarcasm doesn't ENTIRELY translate well into writing. Especially during a business deal.

But yeah, even if you wouldn't have mentioned the possibility of it being blackmail, I would've thought blackmail while reading it.

Dustin2128
August 8th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly why im worried. If i just cut that line out, it wouldn't have elements of blackmail; it would be a statement to report to the authorities. I would appreciate any more input from anyone.
I'd send an apologetic email immediatley if I were you, that sounds like something that could easily be taken to court. Always be careful what you put in a message..

TheNerdAL
August 8th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I'd send an apologetic email immediatley if I were you, that sounds like something that could easily be taken to court. Always be careful what you put in a message..

Yes..like when you are mad at someone and want to get your anger out by writing a letter...well don't send that letter to that one person. :p

Khakilang
August 8th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I am not a law person. But I think you push a little into blackmailing. Threaten someone with the intention of getting money or certain favor instead of going to the right authority to handle this. I know you may mock him/her and your intention maybe genuine. Sometime this spammer could get better of you. Just keep your head cool.

WalmartSniperLX
August 8th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I've started an apology now. So far I have :

"I wanted to apologize for my recent offending emails. And, I have no intention to profit or report (or any combination) any information as I do not have any information nor intent. I simply wanted to send you sarcasm."

I have not sent it yet.

Madspyman
Sounds a bit like blackmail to me, and a recent meme as well.

"Because I backtraced it, and you'll be reported to the cyber police, and the state police."

If they don't pay up

"Consequences will never be the same."

Good show though, I hate spammer scammers.

wewantutopia
I'm no lawyer, but you only offered to sell scammer the profile... it was only implied that the sale would keep it from going to the authorities. just my thoughts...

hrhnick
August 8th, 2010, 05:39 AM
the guy himself is a scammer. i don't think he'd want to involve the police with anything.
also, i wouldn't send any kind of apology, don't admit fault or wrongdoing.

WalmartSniperLX
August 8th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Ok I'll avoid sending the apology. I also figured that, like most scammers, he is using a fake alias, Anthony Clark (name of American actor). He wouldn't be able to represent himself as the victim in the court of law (or I assume).

hrhnick
August 8th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Ok I'll avoid sending the apology. I also figured that, like most scammers, he is using a fake alias, Anthony Clark (name of American actor). He wouldn't be able to represent himself as the victim in the court of law (or I assume).

you're worrying about it too much :D relax.

Khakilang
August 8th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I've started an apology now. So far I have :

"I wanted to apologize for my recent offending emails. And, I have no intention to profit or report (or any combination) any information as I do not have any information nor intent. I simply wanted to send you sarcasm."

I have not sent it yet.

You can send but don't apologize or it will back fire. They may think you're weak and sue you back for blackmailing. Just send them this message.

"Just to let you know I have information about you and have not send it to the authority yet. I have no intention of soliciting money from you but just a word of caution. Hoping that you will not do this again in the future."

hrhnick
August 8th, 2010, 05:53 AM
You can send but don't apologize or it will back fire. They may think you're weak and sue you back for blackmailing. Just send them this message.

"Just to let you know I have information about you and have not send it to the authority yet. I have no intention of soliciting money from you but just a word of caution. Hoping that you will not do this again in the future."

even that shows weakness. it would be like wearing a ski mask into a bank, brandishing a gun, then saying you had no intent of robbing of it, just wanted to scare everybody.

sonotahippie
August 8th, 2010, 05:56 AM
as a law student i have to say it is black mail as amusing as it may be

grahammechanical
August 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
In your apology it sounds as if you are admitting to sending offending emails. Do not admit to anything. Anyone can make all kinds of accusations but can it be proved in a court of law? To accuse you of blackmail the accuser has to admit to doing something that he can be blackmailed for. Is your accuser going to admit (confess) to conspiracy to defraud by accusing you of blackmail?

I think that you are affected by the American fear of litigation. Some people offer to sell you your credit profile. Is you offer any different. You asking for remuneration for a service he did not request. This is exactly the scam he tried to pull on you. Next time use longer words and intricate sentences.

Regards.

WalmartSniperLX
August 8th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I just really hope this wont come back to bite me in the rear someday. I do agree that, as a scammer, he wouldn't want to attract legal attention. I could be thinking too hard on it. However, looking at the mail script from 3rd party perspective, you have the possibility that he is or is not a scammer, and the possibility that I was either being sarcastic or actually trying to blackmail him. This is what really bothers me, and the fact that scammers would go so low to make extra coin, that they would consider filing a law suit for reason being. Thanks for all of your input! :)

lisati
August 8th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Get in first: report the person via spamcop (http://spamcop.net). :D

chris_safrica
August 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I think if the person is an obvious scammer it is unlikely that he would come forward to the authorities in the first place.

But secondly...would that really happen in the US. I mean would someone really try sue you for that?

This statement not meant to come across with any specific intention or purpose, but if I were to take a mail like that to the police in my country (South Africa) they would simply laugh and thats if they even understood it.

Maybe if someone really pushed it - it would be held up in court - but the chances of it getting there would be less than 1 in a million. If the person is a scammer...It think he/she would also be hard pressed to come forward and say "yes I tried to scam him...but he tried to blackmail me".

Wouldnt he be locked up for admitting that in the first place?

Good luck in any event

grahammechanical
August 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Your apology sounds to me like an admission. Say sorry if you want to but do not admit to anything. Anyone can accuse anyone of anything, but can they prove it? Especially, can it be proved in a court of law? Remember, your accuser has to confess to doing something that he could be blackmailed for in order to accuse you of blackmail. Is he going to admit to conspiracy to defraud so as to accuse you of blackmail? I doubt it. What you did was no different from what reputable companies do when they provide credit profiles for a price. You invited this person to remunerate you for a service that you provided but which he did not ask for. Is this not the same scam that he tried on you? Next time use longer words and more legalistic language.

regards.

WalmartSniperLX
August 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Your apology sounds to me like an admission. Say sorry if you want to but do not admit to anything. Anyone can accuse anyone of anything, but can they prove it? Especially, can it be proved in a court of law? Remember, your accuser has to confess to doing something that he could be blackmailed for in order to accuse you of blackmail. Is he going to admit to conspiracy to defraud so as to accuse you of blackmail? I doubt it. What you did was no different from what reputable companies do when they provide credit profiles for a price. You invited this person to remunerate you for a service that you provided but which he did not ask for. Is this not the same scam that he tried on you? Next time use longer words and more legalistic language.

regards.

Thank you for all of your advice. I did not apologize at all. I did leave a following email out of impulse before posting this on UF, however it had no admittance to wrongdoing.

Zorgoth
August 8th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, that was blackmail, but i wouldn't worry about it -

1) A scammer is not going to come out in public and sue you, because in so doing they would reveal their identity.

b) That email address,etc., are probably untraceable fakes anyway - scammers are generally very hard to catch - once I contacted the police about a scam on Craigslist and they basically said they wouldn't go after them because there was no way to do it.

c) Don't do it again.