PDA

View Full Version : Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood!

The Flying Penguin
August 8th, 2010, 04:41 AM
I've been on a bit of a hiatus from Adult Swim because it seems like they will air anything these days just to fill a time slot but I decided to see what was on. To my astonishment, I see something called FMA Brotherhood! What?

So I google and find out there is a new FMA series! I loved the original and was left wanting more at the end. I watched the movie and was left wanted more at the end. Finally, more FMA! Too bad its episode 26. I hate watching shows or movies out of order.

So any FMA fans in here? Pipe up!

PS. I guess this is old news as the series started last year but darn it, I'm psyched.

Legendary_Bibo
August 8th, 2010, 04:46 AM
yo! The first few episodes are very similar to the original series though.

murderslastcrow
August 8th, 2010, 05:20 AM
It is old news. To be quite honest, although the storyline of the manga (which recently ended, which this new series is based on) is quite good, I liked the original series and movie just fine.

Also, while I love the manga, the animation style of this new anime is a bit stilted and blocky for my tastes. Perhaps it will improve, although I doubt it. For people who like how this looks, congratulations.

But yeah, I could've sworn they'd never go through the trouble to remake it all just to align it with the manga. It's kind of incredible.

Greg
August 8th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Personally, I'd rather stick to the manga, which is (was) pretty awesome.

Legendary_Bibo
August 8th, 2010, 05:25 AM
It is old news. To be quite honest, although the storyline of the manga (which recently ended, which this new series is based on) is quite good, I liked the original series and movie just fine.

Also, while I love the manga, the animation style of this new anime is a bit stilted and blocky for my tastes. Perhaps it will improve, although I doubt it. For people who like how this looks, congratulations.

But yeah, I could've sworn they'd never go through the trouble to remake it all just to align it with the manga. It's kind of incredible.

I freaking hate Alfonses' voice it sounds like a little girls' voice. The voices in the original series were actually great for english.

On a side note: I hate when I go to see an anime someone always tells me to watch the original japanese version with english subtitles. I don't understand japanese, and I don't want to read some weird translated subtitles that will confuse me!!

uberlube
August 8th, 2010, 05:25 AM
im reading black lagoons manga series atm and i have to admit its alot better than i thought it would be. on book 5 now.

Greg
August 8th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I freaking hate Alfonses' voice it sounds like a little girls' voice. The voices in the original series were actually great for english.

On a side note: I hate when I go to see an anime someone always tells me to watch the original japanese version with english subtitles. I don't understand japanese, and I don't want to read some weird translated subtitles that will confuse me!!

Why would the translation confuse you?

Lightstar
August 8th, 2010, 05:53 AM
At some point the anime caught up to the mangas.

They could either put the anime production on hold, or continue the story their own way. They continued the story.
That is the Fullmetal Alchemist we know.

The Brotherhood series is similar, except it doesn't take a turn mid-way now that the mangas are finished, they follow the original mangas more.

Legendary_Bibo
August 8th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Why would the translation confuse you?

Sometimes the translations aren't done correctly until an anime has an english dubbed version.

Bachstelze
August 8th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Sometimes the translations aren't done correctly until an anime has an english dubbed version.

How can you judge whether the translation is correct or not if you don't understand Japanese? Knowing a couple people in the industry, I can tell you that you're very wrong.

mendhak
August 8th, 2010, 08:06 AM

The reason they tell you that is because you'd otherwise miss nuances in the language which do make all the difference. Imagine you want to watch a US English TV show and they dub it into AU English.

As to the original question - I was very pissed off in the last few episodes as it felt weak and stale. Further, they didn't show the moment that I had been waiting for, where Ed would save Al. It just fast forwards and suddenly it's the future and oh by the way Ed sacrificed himself but we're not going to show you that even though that one ceremony is what this whole show was leading up to.

Legendary_Bibo
August 8th, 2010, 08:07 AM
How can you judge whether the translation is correct or not if you don't understand Japanese? Knowing a couple people in the industry, I can tell you that you're very wrong.

Okay, bad translations as in they don't make any sense.

nerdtron
August 8th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I like the new anime series FMA: Brotherhood since its basically follows the storyline of the manga. Since the manga is now finished, I'm enjoying the action packed anime series. :)

Greg
August 8th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Okay, bad translations as in they don't make any sense.

I can't say I've ever experienced that. In fact, my personal experience has been subs being far more clear than dubs.

betrunkenaffe
August 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I can't say I've ever experienced that. In fact, my personal experience has been subs being far more clear than dubs.

+1

I've found dubs to be much worse for translations than subs. Sometimes losing the entirety of the humour on some jokes (another joke was substituted for the english audience in the dub... new joke not funny)

ZarathustraDK
August 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM
+1

I've found dubs to be much worse for translations than subs. Sometimes losing the entirety of the humour on some jokes (another joke was substituted for the english audience in the dub... new joke not funny)

Agree. Also, in favor of the original japanese dubs I find that once you get through a certain amount of series, then you start to "get" some of the subtle nuances of the language; in essence, learning japanese by hearing the audio and pairing it with the translation.

I've never heard an english dub of it, but I gather shows like Lucky Star would be impossible to dub in english because of the in-jokes and word-plays that require explanation.

Legendary_Bibo
August 9th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Agree. Also, in favor of the original japanese dubs I find that once you get through a certain amount of series, then you start to "get" some of the subtle nuances of the language; in essence, learning japanese by hearing the audio and pairing it with the translation.

I've never heard an english dub of it, but I gather shows like Lucky Star would be impossible to dub in english because of the in-jokes and word-plays that require explanation.

The translated intro I've seen of Lucky Star left me confused, then I saw a redone translation and it made sense. I watched Lucky Star english dubbed, and for some reason I kept watching it even though it was so stupid.

thaelim
August 9th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I watched the entire FMA brotherhood series in Japanese with English subs - it's freakin' awesome. Pay particular attention to the music score which was specially composed for the series - it is simply one of the best TV/film scores I've ever heard. This series is essential viewing for anime fans as far as I'm concerned.

Legendary_Bibo
August 9th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I watched the entire FMA brotherhood series in Japanese with English subs - it's freakin' awesome. Pay particular attention to the music score which was specially composed for the series - it is simply one of the best TV/film scores I've ever heard. This series is essential viewing for anime fans as far as I'm concerned.

I freaking love the intro for brotherhood!

From what I've seen of Brotherhood, I like how you learn more about the Gate. I've only seen the first 6 episodes so no spoilers! I'm going through them one by one (Adult Swim doesn't know how to show episodes in chronological order :P ).

giddyup306
August 9th, 2010, 03:20 AM
I have to agree I've been disappointed with Adult Swim the last couple of years. I have insomnia so I often brows through the tube late at night. There is a show called Tim and Eric Awesome Show. Wow that show is just crap! Someone should sue them for false advertisement because that show is anything but awesome...

To the OP I can't get into Japanamation. The only show I could get into like that was InuYasha. I love that show. I also like Shin Chan (but that's not an action type show).

Don't get me wrong there has been a lot of good shows on AS (Metalocalypse is awesome), but it seems like regardless of what new show they are advertising, I have no desire to even try the new show...

Yep look at Shin Chan. That in Japan it's a child's show, but in the us it's an adult show.

Legendary_Bibo
August 9th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I have to agree I've been disappointed with Adult Swim the last couple of years. I have insomnia so I often brows through the tube late at night. There is a show called Tim and Eric Awesome Show. Wow that show is just crap! Someone should sue them for false advertisement because that show is anything but awesome...

To the OP I can't get into Japanamation. The only show I could get into like that was InuYasha. I love that show. I also like Shin Chan (but that's not an action type show).

Don't get me wrong there has been a lot of good shows on AS (Metalocalypse is awesome), but it seems like regardless of what new show they are advertising, I have no desire to even try the new show...

Yep look at Shin Chan. That in Japan it's a child's show, but in the us it's an adult show.

I hate that Tim and Eric show, it's so retarded. I just wish AS would have new episodes. Metalocalypse hasn't had a new episode in probably almost a year, and they play a lot of King of the Hill, and reruns of Family Guy.