PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] having problem in playing videos

supersas
August 8th, 2010, 04:41 AM
hi,
i am new at using ubuntu. i am having problem in playing any kind of videos. i have installed many codecs but the video still dont work properly.
when i try to play an .flv video then it runs for some time(atmost 1minute) then it stops giving the error:"Disconnected:connection terminated"
and when i try to play .avi video then that i can hear the voices but there is a bad video and it also stop after a while giving the same error:"Disconnected:connection terminated".

here is my system's hardware:
processor: 1.2 ghz
ram: 480mb
graphics: 32mb
harddisk space: 60 gb

Please help me through this problem

little_penguin
August 8th, 2010, 09:32 PM
There seem to be a few threads with this "Disconnected: connection refused" problem lately - I'm not sure why it is happening but it seems to be affecting the default Movie Player program (Totem)? You could try playing the files in vlc and see if it helps. To install the vlc player, you can either search for it in Synaptic Package Manager

or open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get install vlc

Then run vlc and open one of your video files.

luigi_mb
August 9th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I am afraid your hardware (32MB of video memory and 4980MB RAM) can not cope with your video files.

/luigi

supersas
August 9th, 2010, 02:00 AM
hey,, that vlc solved my video problem. now i can see a very good quality video. thanks..
but i've got another problem and that is when i play the movie on vlc player then i hear the sound for 5 to 10 minutes and then it stops whereas the video keeps on playing. now whats that???

little_penguin
August 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Good, there's been progress with the video then :) As for the sound problem, check out the following thread, and its links/suggestions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1484569

If the above thread doesn't help, you might want to create a new thread for the sound problem, so it hopefully catches the eye of a sound expert. Good luck.

supersas
August 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM
thanx for the help :)