PDA

View Full Version : Songbird on Linux Soon

adrenaline
April 4th, 2006, 02:57 AM
http://www.songbirdnest.com/linuxhatching

Wow! With songbird, banshee, rhythmbox, listen, amarok, and a slew of others, I'm really looking forward to managing my music collection on Ubuntu! :D

ComplexNumber
April 4th, 2006, 03:09 AM
i've just a quick google around, and i can't find aanywhere that specifies what toolkit it uses. do you know off hand if it will be gtk, qt, or some other toolkit?

drizek
April 4th, 2006, 03:29 AM
gtk

stuporglue
April 4th, 2006, 03:47 AM
I thought the big deal with songbird was that it's interface is XUL, like Firefox, NVU, Thunderbird etc.

rko618
April 4th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Finally, I know the linux community has been waiting for songbird for a long time. I personally can't wait to try it out as amarok is very unstable in ubuntu for me.

drizek
April 4th, 2006, 04:26 AM
nevermind, yes youre right.

briancurtin
April 4th, 2006, 05:46 AM
what is songbird?

Iandefor
April 4th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Sweet!

When I first heard about Songbird, I was disappointed to hear it was only for Windows. Here's hoping it gets better-looking and less crashy!

testube_babies
April 4th, 2006, 05:58 AM
i use songbird in windows and can't wait for the linux release...
although i like amarok, i can't get it to work in dapper, so i've been scouring the edges of the "internets" in search of a good replacement.

MetalMusicAddict
April 5th, 2006, 02:24 AM
I just saw. COOL! I cant wait to try it. I hope they do a repo. That would kick ***. Maybe we should send 'em a email to see?

hotani
April 20th, 2006, 07:27 PM
It looks like a beautiful player and, dare I say it. . . the long-awaited linux iTunes clone.

zachtib
April 21st, 2006, 12:09 AM
looks nice i just hope they add ipod support

dudus
June 6th, 2006, 08:13 AM
not that soon I suppose.... very slow development

SnackySmores
June 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM
check it out songbird for linux binaries are available now :D
http://publicsvn.songbirdnest.com/trac/wiki/Nightly_Builds

BWF89
June 27th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Songbird isn't likely to be stable for awhile, I used the 0.1.1 version on Windows a couple of weeks ago and it crashed litterily every 10 minutes. It wasn't the actual SongBird Player that was crashing, it was because XUL Runner is still very unstable. Hopefully they'll get that worked out soon.

Footissimo
June 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Just tried the nightly...looks nice and all that (and ignoring obvious problems because its in early development), but whats the advantage of it over..say...amaroK? I'd probably be dribbling a bit if it was planned to be a general media player...or if it was poss to purchase music with it..but another music player? We have a good half-dozen which work well anyway...

FISHERMAN
June 27th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Just tried the nightly...looks nice and all that (and ignoring obvious problems because its in early development), but whats the advantage of it over..say...amaroK?
Some people don't like using a QT-application on a GTK-Desktop.

evolvedlight
June 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I can download and run SongBird but its still unstable, has the FF icons, and will not play anything yet :-(

Iandefor
June 27th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Damn fine start. Can't wait till I can actually play music with it :).

kaffelars
June 27th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah, it really looks good :)
And when I set EnableExtensionManager=false in applitcation.ini it started without too much fuzz. But I'm looking forward to a version that actually plays music :-D

bruce89
June 27th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Ach, we don't need any more players; mind you people say that about text editors.

rbenchley
July 19th, 2006, 07:04 AM
In case anyone here is interested, there is a new build of Songbird available. It's still a bit buggy, but the new July 17th build is a huge improvement over the June 30th build. Previous versions wouldn't actually play my music files, but this one seems to work okay. I'm very excited about this, as I loathe every other music player for Linux. I've been using Listen, but I kind of hate it (although I prefer it to Banshee or Rhythmbox) and I've been missing iTunes quite a bit. Songbird seems like it might be a decent replacement for iTunes.

RAV TUX
July 19th, 2006, 07:15 AM
In case anyone here is interested, there is a new build of Songbird available. It's still a bit buggy, but the new July 17th build is a huge improvement over the June 30th build. Previous versions wouldn't actually play my music files, but this one seems to work okay. I'm very excited about this, as I loathe every other music player for Linux. I've been using Listen, but I kind of hate it (although I prefer it to Banshee or Rhythmbox) and I've been missing iTunes quite a bit. Songbird seems like it might be a decent replacement for iTunes.

why not just use iTunes in Ubuntu?

Christmas
July 19th, 2006, 08:50 AM
For me it crashed from the beginning when it was scanning a folder for media files. I think I will try it later.

Derek Djons
July 19th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I find this application worth of checking. Only, at the moment it's still a nightly build. For me, my music collection is not something to be trusted with newly 'nightly' builds and vague new software / hardware.

I'm owning an iPod. So when the time is right, I'll definitely give this version a try.

OrganicPanda
July 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM
the windows version looks awful in my opinion, i hope the linux version works better with the desktop, i have yet to see screenshots, but then again its no winamp for organising music, ahh well maybe one day

3rdalbum
July 19th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I've been using Songbird on WINE for a while; it doesn't run too badly (scanning folders is SLOW AS). I downloaded a nightly build or something for Linux a while back, and that wasn't too bad, but it's good that they're fixing all the bugs. I can't wait until they add more features, it's a very promising project. I hope they add support for my HDD MP3 player :-)

kaffelars
August 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
The nightly build released yesterday (august 2.) actually runs and plays on Linux :D

Made a nice launcher for it on my Starterbar, but running it from the launcher just kept producing errors when I tried to play a file, so I had to make a tiny script that runs it from the shell. The "cheesy video window" also seems to be impossible to remove.

But nevertheless, I am listening to music from Songbird as I'm writing this:)