PDA

View Full Version : I am impressed

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 8th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Has anyone had similar results by just playing with startup applications and choosing what applications are running?

After playing with conky to eliminate screenlets and gadgets, removing processes from the startup applications, etc. I got some strange results. :)

See the attached file.

The fan on my laptop doesn't seem to be running either. CPU temperature is 39C.

Why do I need a dual core processor with 3.5 GB of RAM?

:lolflag:

Legendary_Bibo
August 8th, 2010, 02:26 AM
You don't do enough with your computer. :lolflag:

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 8th, 2010, 02:38 AM
You don't do enough with your computer. :lolflag:

Of course it is ideal. If I run Vista in a VM the CPU temperature can get to 77C. And the cores can get to 70 to 100 percent utilization. :lolflag:

Most people don't use their computers that way. :)

Dustin2128
August 8th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I idle (0-5% processor usage) at about 45C, 70MB RAM usage when I'm in fluxbox. I disagree with the statement 'RAM is there to be used'.

Legendary_Bibo
August 8th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Of course it is ideal. If I run Vista in a VM the CPU temperature can get to 77C. And the cores can get to 70 to 100 percent utilization. :lolflag:

Most people don't use their computers that way. :)

I run XP through a VirtualBox for things I need Windows for. XP is pretty much all you need. I use only one core for XP, and works at about 20%, and the system uses 1.2gb of RAM (despite the fact that I only allocated 1gb).

To Dustin, yeah I have to agree with you there, I have 4gb of RAM, there's no way that running a few applications should make this thing begin to slowdown because certain programs are using a lot more RAM then they're reporting

ubunterooster
August 8th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I have mine set at 32C and using 4.5 of 8GB RAM. It's all about low-power and high-speed simultaneously for me.

Dustin2128
August 8th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I have mine set at 32C and using 4.5 of 8GB RAM. It's all about low-power and high-speed simultaneously for me.
Laptops idle at higher temperatures (I assume you're using a desktop), but what's using 4.5 GB of RAM? 4 VMs running at once?

murderslastcrow
August 8th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I have a dual-core with 3 GB of RAM to play Smash Bros. Brawl. Everything else I could do with literally no more than 256 MB of RAM and an NVidia card(for Blender/DirectX in Wine).

Other than that, I have this computer just for the kick of knowing I'll likely still be using it in 50 years.

ubunterooster
August 8th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Laptops idle at higher temperatures (I assume you're using a desktop), but what's using 4.5 GB of RAM? 4 VMs running at once?LOL, not today; yesterday, yes.

Integrated graphics takes a chunk and I agree that "RAM is there to be used" so I don't mind the memory being largely cached

cariboo
August 8th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I idle (0-5% processor usage) at about 45C, 70MB RAM usage when I'm in fluxbox. I disagree with the statement 'RAM is there to be used'.

You got the quote wrong, it's:

unused ram is wasted ram

:) :) :)

toupeiro
August 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I disagree with the statement 'RAM is there to be used'.

....Really?! What do you have it for.. Bragging rights?

Ub1476
August 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Has anyone had similar results by just playing with startup applications and choosing what applications are running?

The fan on my laptop doesn't seem to be running either. CPU temperature is 39C.

Could you tell a little about what processes you killed to achieve that?

Frak
August 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM
RAM that isn't used is considered wasted, since, well, RAM is there to be used.

Zach G
August 8th, 2010, 08:13 AM

What do you need 8GB of RAM for? Just to be able to say it. lol

toupeiro
August 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM

I have 6 and could use 6 more. Some people use their ram. :)

ubunterooster
August 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Actually, I'm the guy who just has to try every new distro and uses Virtualization frequently. So, I can run 3 OS's (each with 2GB RAM) inside my main (which will then have only 1.5GB) and still be able to be entirely functional.

Frak
August 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Actually, I'm the guy who just has to try every new distro and uses Virtualization frequently. So, I can run 3 OS's (each with 2GB RAM) inside my main (which will then have only 1.5GB) and still be able to be entirely functional.
You'll reach a point where you'll stop when you learn that almost every new distribution is just Ubuntu + some extra crap.

ubunterooster
August 9th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Already have but it is somewhat akin to OCD, where I have to try the new ones.

However there is the occasional distro that sticks out. Currently I see that as Igelle.

Dustin2128
August 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Well I prefer programs that don't intentionally waste my RAM because I'm frequently working on older machines and I find it wasteful anyway. My next computer will have at least 4GB of RAM though...

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 10th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I run XP through a VirtualBox for things I need Windows for. XP is pretty much all you need. I use only one core for XP, and works at about 20%, and the system uses 1.2gb of RAM (despite the fact that I only allocated 1gb).

I don't have a working copy of XP with a valid License Key for running in a VM; therefore, I use Vista or Windows 7. Windows 7 is already running on a PC I use for multimedia; such as NetFlix. The only available license is for Vista. I try to stay within the rules of Microsoft's User License Agreement.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 10th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Could you tell a little about what processes you killed to achieve that?

Some of the processes running were self inflicted by installing applications that I haven't used. One of the biggest contributors to the lower resource utilizations was turning off the Screenlets I installed and switching to conkey. Then I looked at the Startup Applications menu to turn off anything I don't use; for example, Ubuntu One and Bluetooth Manager.

I am not a minimalist. I just want to free resources for running VMs. The less resources my host OS needs, the more I can give to VM's.