PDA

View Full Version : Government and open source, a match made in heaven?

phrostbyte
August 8th, 2010, 12:25 AM
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/08/cia-software-developer-goes-open-source-instead/

Governments like the US government produce massive amounts of software each year, yet there no organised system or plan for releasing this software to the general public (except such software which is properly classified in the interests of national security).

What do you think needs to be done? Is another agency the answer? Should someone in the government be responsible for cataloguing all the software the government produces?

Frak
August 8th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Nothing, the government will do what they think is best. What we say here has no effect on what's actually going to happen.

phrostbyte
August 8th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Nothing, the government will do what they think is best. What we say here has no effect on what's actually going to happen.

Maybe, but I'd still like some input.

chris200x9
August 8th, 2010, 12:52 AM

So we are able to say one thing and do another, and no one will be accountable for anything. Sorry I just watched that southpark :P

Dustin2128
August 8th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I found it pathetic when nasa made this awesome and interactive map of mars, to make it closed source and only viewable with MS silverlight or a download for windows only.