PDA

View Full Version : Can't locate gtkmm.h file for C++ #include statement

robogenus
August 7th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Hi All, I am fairly new to C++, but familiar enough to write basic procedural code. I am wanting to test out building GUI using gtkmm, but when I #include <gtkmm.h> the file cannot be located. I installed gtkmm on Ubuntu Jaunty via terminal sudo apt-get install and everything seem to install okay, but to no avail I cannot find gtkmm.h header file in the "/usr/include/gtk--" folder. Can anyone help me out in finding the location for gtkmm.h c++ header? Has it been deprecated? When I read the tutorial on using gtkmm it showed that I must include this file, but when I include it ... the compiler just throws up a mass of errors??? :) Any help much appreciated...

SledgeHammer_999
August 8th, 2010, 02:40 AM
from: http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtkmm-tutorial/unstable/sec-basics-simple-example.html.en

g++ simple.cc -o simple `pkg-config gtkmm-2.4 --cflags --libs`

(pkg-config outputs the correct path for gtkmm)

robogenus
August 8th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Thanks SledgeHammer_999 for your reply. I just found a file in ubuntu jaunty 9.04 '/usr/includes/gtk--.h' and it seems to be a header file that mainly includes all the other gtk-- (gtkmm) header files that are found in '/usr/includes/gtk--' folder. So I guess they renamed the gtkmm.h file to gtk--.h or so it seems. I also realized I needed to 'sudo apt-get install libgtkmm-2.4-dev' install the development package. Which I only had the binaries installed. Hopefully, I can get this going now. I'll be back and let all know how it goes.

robogenus
August 9th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Finally discovered that I needed to download the Gtkmm Dev Package 'libgtkmm-2.4-dev' and then create the header 'appname.h' and source files 'appname.cpp' then compile the application on the command line using " g++ appname.cpp -o appname `pkg-config gtkmm-2.4 --cflags --libs` " command with the --cflags and --libs options. This worked great if the syntax is written correctly. Now, how to compile and run it within CodeLite and building UI with Glade and GtkBuilder.