PDA

View Full Version : Help a Grad-Student with a Linux Survey

beastrace91
August 7th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Survey (http://survey.education.txstate.edu/mrIWeb/mrIWeb.dll?I.Project=LPP)

Post from the Blog of Helios on the subject. (http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-do-you-use-linux-survey.html)

It only takes about 5 minutes.

Cheers!
~Jeff

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 7th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Did you submit the questions to people outside of the Graduate Program before posting the survey? Did you get feedback from people that are not familiar with your area of study before posting the survey?

I ask these questions based on the difficulty I had with understanding the purpose or meaning of some of the questions. I am not involved in the field of education; therefore, the questions related to education were somewhat ambiguous to me. I am not familiar with the nuances of some terms used in the survey.

I am only asking these question to be helpful. I don't intent to be critical of your survey.

:)

earthpigg
August 8th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Have you acquired any Gnu/Linux skills in a hands-on environment?

i don't understand this question. more accurately, it sounds a bit bizzare.

of course i have acquired gnu/linux skills in a hands-on enviornment. how else would you acquire these skills? reading a book without ever touching a keyboard?

isn't it a given that until you do it for yourself, you have zero skill in a given area? consider:

Hi, I just got my degree in Computer Science. Yes, I have taken classes on Linux/Unix system administration. No, I have never placed my hands on a keyboard attached to a computer running Unix or Linux.

I don't think it's unreasonable to consider that individual to have absolutely zero relevant skills.

edit:

i suppose this question (and what it infers) clarifies it a bit for me:

Have you acquired any Gnu/Linux skills through classroom instruction?

'No' is my answer for that.

My confusion stems from never really taking seriously the "impressive degrees & never having applying anything learned" paradigm of life for career academics/professors that seems to be more-or-less accepted as a valid career path.

edit2: My critical commentary towards certain aspects of academia wasn't directed at you beastrace91, it was directed at whatever atmosphere it is that produces the need for the 'hands-on' question to be asked, and not regarded as an absolute given.

The question also makes me wonder if there are math classes out there that don't require that students do homework, take tests, or complete any assignment aside from "show up to class most of the time to receive classroom instruction".

beastrace91
August 8th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Thehe well it's not my survey - I just figure it would be helpful for me to link to it here so more people could take it.

~Jeff