PDA

View Full Version : ISPs with faster upstream

amitroy5
April 4th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Does anyone know of any ISPs that have a faster upstream speed? I herd of Verizon FIOS, but that is not avalable here. My current is 512 kbs. Thanks!

evilgold
April 4th, 2006, 03:44 AM
depends on your area... out here in kentucky the cable company has a 384kbps cap on there basic service ($40/mo) ... 512 would cost me $80 a month (w/ 6mb down)... But when i lived in virginia beach there didnt seem to be an upload cap (was probably like 1mb) for the same price, $40.

DSL is usally about the same but a bit more costly when you factor in the needed phoneline.

basicly it depends on the demand in your area, and how much you want to pay.

amitroy5
April 4th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Wow! I'm very lucky then. I get 512 upstream for about $25 via DSL. I am still researching. Some of the programs I need to use for work require a lot of upstream speed, especially when doing video confrences with people in Asia. I recently had one with someone from Chennai, however, the quality was terrible.

Kvark
April 4th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Where do you live? Do you have cable TV or any other wire that can be used for broadband?

I get 100Mbps both up and down for $40/month from Bredbandsbolaget. But I doubt that is relevant to you unless you live in Sweden and in an appartment block that has network outlets next to the phone outlets.

mips
April 4th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Wow! I'm very lucky then. I get 512 upstream for about $25 via DSL. I am still researching. Some of the programs I need to use for work require a lot of upstream speed, especially when doing video confrences with people in Asia. I recently had one with someone from Chennai, however, the quality was terrible.

You can not garauntee the quality of your connection based on your upstream speed. You have NO control over what happens between your ISP and that of the other parties. The internet is a funny beast.

The only way to get a gaurantee is to use a provider that will offer you QoS on a MPLS backbone and that my friend when you find it you are going to pay for.

It wont hurt to try a higher speed on a trial basis though.

djgenesis
April 19th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I get 100Mbps both up and down for $40/month from Bredbandsbolaget.

OH MY GOOOOOOOOD ?!"?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?
I am moving to sweeden tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!