PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I should upgrade to Dapper ?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 4th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Hi, I'm a fairly expericenced Ubuntu user and I was thinking of upgrading to Dapper. I don't mind things breaking since I only use my system for browsing the net. I was thinking of upgrading to it when it enters beta stage. What do you think I should do ?

henriquemaia
April 4th, 2006, 02:25 AM
If you're brave, go ahead. It's almost certain that something will fail, but not very important things. It's beta, so you have to expect some bugs, even if they're just small ones.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 4th, 2006, 02:26 AM
If you're brave, go ahead. It's almost certain that something will fail, but not very important things. It's beta, so you have to expect some bugs, even if they're just small ones.
ok, well I'm 90 % sure that I'm going to update. Do you think I should just upgrade by dist-upgrade or a clean install ? I'm thinking of just upgrading so I can keep my wifi card configured. It's about 9:26, and I will be up for about another 1 hr. and 30 min. Should I upgrade now ?

papangul
April 4th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Dapper is working fine, I think actually better than breezy here but the dist-upgrade process is the issue. I did a fresh install after looking at the 'packages to be removed' dialogue of dist upgrade . It is just too complicated. The problem is I have to restart from scratch- lot of work to do. But there are no headaches fearing broken system.

mstlyevil
April 4th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Hi, I'm a fairly expericenced Ubuntu user and I was thinking of upgrading to Dapper. I don't mind things breaking since I only use my system for browsing the net. I was thinking of upgrading to it when it enters beta stage. What do you think I should do ?

It is very, very stable as a Alpha build. There are some minor issues but nothing that inhibits most task. If you do decide to install Dapper, make sure you back up data you want to transfer to CD or DVD because both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are having issues with floppy drives.

I say go for it now. Flt 6 will automatically upgrade to the Beta build when updating your computer. I see no reason to wait if you are not afraid of some thing breaking. I have been using Dapper as my sole OS for over a month now and it has not crapped out on me yet.

henriquemaia
April 4th, 2006, 02:34 AM
ok, well I'm 90 % sure that I'm going to update. Do you think I should just upgrade by dist-upgrade or a clean install ? I'm thinking of just upgrading so I can keep my wifi card configured. It's about 9:26, and I will be up for about another 1 hr. and 30 min. Should I upgrade now ?

I did both and both went well. Dist-upgrade has more charm, :D. You can always say: "I dist-upgraded my ubuntu." That goes well in every occasion when you're lacking conversation.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 4th, 2006, 02:34 AM
do you guys think that it would be safe if I upgrade with my wireless instead of being hardwired ?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 4th, 2006, 02:43 AM
anyone ? I would like to start the upgrade process.

henriquemaia
April 4th, 2006, 02:46 AM
anyone ? I would like to start the upgrade process.

Dist-upgrade saves you the trouble of configuring things again. It uses your old configuration. Maybe it's safer if everything is working fine.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 4th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Dist-upgrade saves you the trouble of configuring things again. It uses your old configuration. Maybe it's safer if everything is working fine.
Alright. Here I go...I am about to press enter on sudo dist-upgrade...here we go closing everything...sorry I'm nervous :)

mstlyevil
April 4th, 2006, 02:53 AM
do you guys think that it would be safe if I upgrade with my wireless instead of being hardwired ?

To be on the safe side I would do it hardwired myself. Wireless should give you no problems since the updates are all downloaded first. There is always that chance of things going haywire using wireless.

htinn
April 4th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Maybe I'm used to the Windows/Mac way of doing things, but I never dist-upgrade. Of course, I've been playing with Dapper since F4. Woo fun. :D