PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot browse via hotspot after installing restricted-extras

awe
August 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hi,

I've been searching within the forum but I have not found any thread about this. I hope that I am not repeating a thread.

I can connect successfully to HotSpots in the sense that I can see the network and connect to it. However, I cannot browse. After I open FireFox I am supposed to be brought automatically to the login page, but instead it keeps saying "connecting to..." until it fails with an error message. After researching a bit further, I have found out that this happens when the package ubuntu-restricted-extras has been installed. All works perfectly before installing this package. This has been going on for quite a few releases now, I think since 9.04 at least. I have come up with this problem on three completely different computers, so I would say that the hardware is not the problem. This issue also happens with Epiphany and Konqueror, so I presume that it's not a problem with the browser neither.

Rather, it looks to me like one of the many packages that are installed with ubuntu-restricted-extras causes the problem.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

lovinglinux
August 7th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Disable ipv6 on Firefox Preferences, by setting the network.dns.disableIPv6 preference to true.

Type about:config in the address bar, press Enter.
Find network.dns.disableIPv6 in the list.
Right-click -> Toggle.
Restart Firefox and try again.

This usually fixes such issues. Nevertheless, It's strange that this started to happen after restricted-extras install.

awe
August 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hi, thanks for the help but the problem appears to be something else. And yes, it is very suspicious that it *always* happens after installing ubuntu-restricted-extras. I'm pretty sure that one of the many packages that is installed by restricted-extras causes the problem.

Is there any log file that you suggest I should investigate?

Can someone please give me the details of which exact packages does restricted-extras install? Which of these are related to networking?

Thank you all in advance.

lovinglinux
August 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Here is the list: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubuntu-restricted-extras

awe
August 9th, 2010, 10:08 AM
It seems that I have found the offending package. I have purged all the IcedTea6 packages (which were installed by ubuntu-restricted-extras and I have install sun-java instead. Et voilą! I can use HotSpots again.

How, or rather, where can I file a bug request for IcedTea?

lovinglinux
August 9th, 2010, 02:10 PM
It seems that I have found the offending package. I have purged all the IcedTea6 packages (which were installed by ubuntu-restricted-extras and I have install sun-java instead. Et voilą! I can use HotSpots again.

How, or rather, where can I file a bug request for IcedTea?

Thanks for the heads up.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/