PDA

View Full Version : likes & dislikes

DouglasAdams
August 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM
// closed

i really liked the nod to the glorious cylon warriors when 9.10 was booting and when 10.04 replaced them with those silly coloured dots ... well, i was quite upset.
sorry if my post sounds rather trivial but i hope others will feel similar. maybe they have better reasons than me.
they might even think that the 10.04 dots don't look as professional as the 9.10 "kit" light. maybe they would use more professional terms than me but the bottom line is which gives the best look and feel.

23meg
August 7th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Moved to Community Cafe, as per the title.

DouglasAdams
August 7th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Moved to Community Cafe, as per the title.

and i thought that i was making a suggestion,
telling developers what i preferred,
helping them to make future releases more of what users want than simply about what developers think we should want.
frankly, i have personally had enough of politicians telling me what i want and hoped that here might be more democratic.
yes, it was light-hearted, that's my way.
i use humour to get noticed and, hopefully, to get my point noticed too. however, i was certainly not joking about the actual issue.

23meg
August 7th, 2010, 04:31 PM
and i thought that i was making a suggestion,
telling developers what i preferred,
helping them to make future releases more of what users want than simply about what developers think we should want.
frankly, i have personally had enough of politicians telling me what i want and hoped that here might be more democratic.
yes, it was light-hearted, that's my way.
i use humour to get noticed and, hopefully, to get my point noticed too. however, i was certainly not joking about the actual issue.

You may have missed the announcement on the top of the forum you posted, which makes it clear that the forum is not a way of contacting "the developers".

It's also worth noting that design is (http://design.canonical.com/) not (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork) something that's worked on by developers in Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is far from being democratic (http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/governance) in terms of governance.

DouglasAdams
August 7th, 2010, 06:31 PM
cheers 23meg.
well, tbh i was hoping to start a discussion about this feature.
i've not used ubuntu for long so i thought doing something like starting a poll about it was rather strong-arm.
however, are you really saying that if, for example, there was a poll and the over-whelming majority of users were very dis-satisfied with some feature then those views would be totally ignored and you (i.e. Canonical) would completely ignore them?

23meg
August 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM
however, are you really saying that if, for example, there was a poll and the over-whelming majority of users were very dis-satisfied with some feature then those views would be totally ignored and you (i.e. Canonical) would completely ignore them?

I'm saying that popular opinion does not necessarily affect the course of things, that there are different decision making mechanisms involved, and this is made clear upfront, as you'll note upon reading the governance page I linked to. In practice, when it doesn't change things, it's still noted and ends up affecting the future in a different context, as opposed to "ignored". It's not black or white, as in either totally ignored, or necessarily complied with.

DouglasAdams
August 7th, 2010, 08:40 PM
thanks 23meg.
obviously i totally accept what you say but surely the "different decision making mechanisms" are for things that matter, not such an item of trivia such as the cylons versus dots issue where, i believe, most users, paying and freeloaders, would have far preferred to side with the cylon empire ... if they had simply been allowed to express an honest opinion.
anyhow, this is all a little pointless now as the whole topic is a little "tainted" imo.
thanks for your time.

Dustin2128
August 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
hm, I thought I was the only one who noticed the cylon nod ;). Anyway, if you don't like it, don't upgrade, or after you upgrade, tweak your OS to feel and behave exactly the way you want it to. Can't expect the devs to know what you want or even care when you can do it yourself.

DouglasAdams
August 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM
hm, I thought I was the only one who noticed the cylon nod ;). Anyway, if you don't like it, don't upgrade, or after you upgrade, tweak your OS to feel and behave exactly the way you want it to. Can't expect the devs to know what you want or even care when you can do it yourself.
thank god that henry ford didn't say that.
you can always paint the car yourself ...
you want a roof? you can always put one on yourself ...
your want an open top car? you can always saw the roof off your self ...

let me guess dustin, do you work for someone like BT or British Gas or ...
... OMG! could you possibly be Frederick "the shred" Goodwin?

DouglasAdams
August 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
p.s.
after upgrading i spent far to long trying to get 10.04 to just work. i'm not experienced. i didn't and still don't have the time. i came to ubuntu as i was told it was a great experience with very few problems few most users. upgrading to 10.04 was horrendous for me and i've still not fixed everything. anything i could live with, e.g. no sound, i have simply ignored until i install 10.10, without using the possibly still flawed, upgrade path.