PDA

View Full Version : What Terminal Application do you use?

Tipo
April 4th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Well, tell us which unix command line app you use!

I personally use the default gnome terminal, but I have heard of a few others and hope to find a few more in this thread:)

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 4th, 2006, 02:00 AM

I personally use the default gnome terminal, but I have heard of a few others and hope to find a few more in this thread:)
I use the default gnome terminal too. :mrgreen:

henriquemaia
April 4th, 2006, 02:01 AM

I also use gnome-terminal. When I want to use some real hardcore command line, I go to the real one, ctrl+alt+F1...F6

htinn
April 4th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Usually, gnome-terminal, although xterm and aterm are starting to grow on me.

rfruth
April 4th, 2006, 02:07 AM

ComplexNumber
April 4th, 2006, 02:12 AM
i use gnome-terminal

henriquemaia
April 4th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Tipo, you could add a poll to this. Don't know if there was another one on this subject, but that would be interesting.

Gnome-terminal is clearly a winner here...

mrgnash
April 4th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Gnome-terminal :)

Lux Perpetua
April 4th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I use gnome-terminal, but that's only because I haven't really looked into the alternatives. Actually, when I run a verbose application, I use Eterm because output to gnome-terminal is slooooow.

Speaking of which, what are the alternatives for a Gnome user? I know about Eterm, aterm, xterm, and rxvt. (I'm not willing to give up antialiased fonts. :-P)

mstlyevil
April 4th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Default.

Ubuntu - Gnome-terminal

Kubuntu - Konsole

Sheinar
April 4th, 2006, 02:43 AM
urxvt

drizek
April 4th, 2006, 03:24 AM
urxvt, mmmmm..... transparency.

Kinda sad that i ditched konsole which has 100x the features just so i could get a terminal with transparency.

eriqk
April 4th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Gnome-terminal and aterm.

Groet, Erik

midwinter
April 4th, 2006, 04:03 AM
urxvt

fuscia
April 4th, 2006, 04:34 AM
rxvt. why? it opens fast.

Wolki
April 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Gnome Terminal, it rocks.

mcduck
April 4th, 2006, 09:16 AM
gnome-terminal. I did same speed tests with different terminals last week, and the Gnome-terminal (2.14.0) was absolutely fastest.. Even with antialiased fonts.. :) (I tried eterm, aterm, rxvt, urxvt and even ctrl-alt-f1 to get to the vt, and run 'time ls -R ~/Music/Mp3')

Besides, I have XGL and Compiz to provide the transparency :D

localzuk
April 4th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Well as I try and run a light system (even though the specs are beefy), I use aterm or xterm. Sometimes I use the Real Terminals too... Depending on the situation.

aterm fits well with fluxbox...

xenmax
April 4th, 2006, 09:57 AM
i was only introduced to linux when i had to use it at work. I was mainly using gnome-terminal at work. But it would frequently crash and i had no idea why.. i typically run jobs that take hours and hours and it would **** me off so much to see gnome-terminal crashing and ruin my job... it would have to run all over again..
Even IT folks at work could not figure out why it crashed... i would have no other apps running... [actually i wud vnc to login machines and get a terminal to work on - nothing else is running, everything else wud be running on local pc]. I even filed a bug in Gnome, but no response, but i understand .. they probably cud not even re-reproduce my problem. Also, gnome-terminal was so heavy, my god, now i am happpy it crashed which made me look elsewhere.

anyways, i tried xterm which was pretty light-weight, but i was hooked to tabs, could not work without it. then a colleague suggested this "new" terminal on sourceforge called Mrxvt - which stands for multi-tabbed rxvt. i loved it!! as light weight as xterm and with tabs. and now, everybody in my team uses it! when i finally tried linux[ubuntu] at home, the first thing i installed was mrxvt

here's a link to sourceforge repo:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/materm/

edit: thats a long post - thought it would be better to highlight name of app

bonzodog
April 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I use xfterm in Xubuntu, which is a hack of rxvt.

Tipo
April 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Tipo, you could add a poll to this. Don't know if there was another one on this subject, but that would be interesting.

Gnome-terminal is clearly a winner here...

Sure, I'll add a poll :)

...When I figure out how :p

EDIT: There we go :)

fuscia
April 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM
then a colleague suggested this "new" terminal on sourceforge called Mrxvt - which stands for multi-tabbed rxvt. i loved it!! as light weight as xterm and with tabs. and now, everybody in my team uses it! when i finally tried linux[ubuntu] at home, the first thing i installed was mrxvt

just switched. awesome! thanks.

Randomskk
April 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Konsole and YaKuake - the first I've stripped down some (no menu bar or tab bar, transparent dark background) and YaKuake has the same settings, but it's one hellish awesome app - basically, you hit F12 and a terminal drops down from top of the screen, multiple tabs, same kinda thing as Konsole.
I have it on autostart for both my screens :D

mike998
April 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I voted gnome-terminal, but I am now using Xfce and I don't think it comes with gnome-terminal...

So - Default...

Kimm
April 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Terminal - The XFCE4 terminal... that doesnt come with Ubuntu ](*,) [-(

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/31/terminal6dx.png

darkmatter
April 4th, 2006, 04:13 PM
urxvt, gnome-terminal, eterm, and xfterm

I like to keep my options open :mrgreen:

Stormy Eyes
April 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I used to use rxvt-unicode, but I've been using gnome-terminal ever since GNOME 2.14 hit the fan because I can't see any speed difference anymore.

earobinson
April 4th, 2006, 04:29 PM
xfce4-terminal :)

njf
April 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Konsole because only it can be embeded in Kate.

Hamman
April 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Konsole and YaKuake - the first I've stripped down some (no menu bar or tab bar, transparent dark background) and YaKuake has the same settings, but it's one hellish awesome app - basically, you hit F12 and a terminal drops down from top of the screen, multiple tabs, same kinda thing as Konsole.
I have it on autostart for both my screens :D

Yeah, Yakuake is great, I use it all the time(in combination with Konsole of course). It's great! I usually find some command to run to fix a problem(or to create one :P) while surfing. Instead of having to reach for my mouse, I just press F12 and I'm done :D.

xenmax
April 4th, 2006, 07:39 PM
just switched. awesome! thanks.
you r welcome. that makes 2 of us using it, atleast among those who responded here :).... i am slightly surprised its not more popular..

rhystic
April 6th, 2006, 03:06 AM
I got to agree with Randomskk and Hamman, Yakuake is simply awesome. If you are a kde user and you haven't tried it, give it a shot, you'll love it!

rhystic

drizek
April 6th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Ya, yakuake kicks ***. Best.Terminal. Ever.

Kindred
April 6th, 2006, 03:34 AM
urvxt, fast & configurable.

IYY
April 6th, 2006, 06:19 AM
I'm a fan of aterm. When that's not installed, I use xterm.

kabus
April 6th, 2006, 07:26 AM
urxvt :

* Stores text in Unicode (either UCS-2 or UCS-4).
* Uses locale-correct input, output and width: as long as your system supports the locale, rxvt-unicode will display correctly.
* Daemon mode: one daemon can open multiple windows on multiple displays, which improves memory usage and startup time considerably.
* Embedded perl, for endless customization and improvement opportunities, such as:
o Tabbed terminal support.
o Regex-driven customisable selection that can properly select shell arguments, urls etc.
o Selection-transformation and option popup menus.
o Automatically transforming the selection once made.
o Incremental scrollback buffer search.
o Automatic URL-underlining and launching.
o Remote pastebin, digital clock, block graphics to ascii filter and whatever you like to implement for yourself.
* Crash-free. At least I try, but rxvt-unicode certainly crashes much less often than rxvt and its many clones, and reproducible bugs get fixed immediately.
* Completely flicker-free.
* Re-wraps long lines instead of splitting or cutting them on resizes.
* Full combining character support (unlike xterm :).
* Multiple fonts supported at the same time: No need to choose between nice japanese and ugly latin, or no japanese and nice latin characters :).
* Supports Xft and core fonts in any combination.
* Can easily be embedded into other applications.
* All documentation accessible through manpages.
* Locale-independent XIM support.
* Many small improvements, such as improved and corrected terminfo, improved secondary screen modes, italic and bold font support, tinting and shading.
* Encapsulation of privileged operations in a separate process (improves security).
* Optimised for local and remote connections.

The package from the Ubuntu repositories is a bit outdated, though, best to get it from here (http://software.schmorp.de/pkg/rxvt-unicode.html) and compile it.

purdy hate machine
April 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Another YaKuake user here :KS

gingermark
April 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Yep, me too. Yakuake is just excellent.

papangul
April 6th, 2006, 03:59 PM
What are the "additional" features of gnome-terminal compared to something like mrxvt so that one even thinks of using the gnome-terminal?

angkor
April 6th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Other.

I use aterm. But sometimes I use xterm as well. I like gnome-terminal but it's just too slow for a terminal.

hmm. Edit: Did some tests on speed. And it turns out gnome-terminal is just as fast as aterm and xterm nowadays. Guess my knowledge was a bit outdated. :) Not gonna switch though.

Tipo
April 6th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Is there any place to set the window settings for xterm? I'm not a big fan of the black text on gray...

EDIT: Better question, once Ive changed the settings, how do I save them so xterm uses them every time?

xenmax
April 6th, 2006, 06:31 PM
xterm -fg <foreground color> -bg <background color>

You can make an alias if you want

alias xterm='xterm -fg <foreground color> -bg <background color>'
or you can edit config file - not sure what name of config file is though...

Kindred
April 6th, 2006, 06:35 PM
.Xdefaults (http://www.strath.ac.uk/CC/Courses/oldXC/subsection3_9_4.html)

Tipo
April 6th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Niether changing the .Xdefaults file or using the alias seem to work, all settings are set back to the black on grey text on the xterm relaunch...

Kindred
April 6th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Niether changing the .Xdefaults file or using the alias seem to work, all settings are set back to the black on grey text on the xterm relaunch...

In the terminal type xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults

close terminal

open terminal

(or logout..)

Tipo
April 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM
In the terminal type xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults

close terminal

open terminal

(or logout..)

Perfect, thanks!

benplaut
June 16th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Urxvt, here's my popup terminal, it works with Screen:

#!/bin/bash
#Reattach a session and if necessary detach or even create it first
if wmctrl -l | grep "PopUp"
then wmctrl -v -c "PopUp"
else urxvt -bl -geometry 126x30+0+0 -T "PopUp" -e screen -d -R popup
fi

If you don't know screen, it's well worth your time learning it!!

fuscia
June 17th, 2006, 12:24 AM
now that i have 'modren' equipment, i use konsole in kde. my use of lightweight apps was always an issue of speed. and when i was using my old desktop, i was most grateful for them.

Donshyoku
June 17th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Gnome-Terminal... I have never heard of anything that would convince me to change that.

nalmeth
June 17th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Hands down, it's got to be yakuake

therunnyman
June 17th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Someone on the boards here turned me on to tilda. That's all I use. It became cooler with the arrival of compiz: if you want, you can have a terminal session launch from wherever your mouse pointer happens to be. Screeny for you: