PDA

View Full Version : Laptop fan

limestone
August 7th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I don't know if all laptops does this but mine always runs the fan at full speed when powering on.
Why? The laptop is usually cold when power-up... Anyone who knows why it's like this?

Bachstelze
August 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Yes, it's probably the #1 problem with non-Windows (or non-OSX, Windows has the same problem on my MacBook) OSes on laptops.

Blame ACPI.

handy
August 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM
My old GA-K8NS Ultra-939 / Athlon64 3500+ system does the same thing.

It doesn't take too long before it quietens down, it actually spends most of its time without even spinning the CPU fan, though I have a large copper heat-piped 'sink on it.

YuiDaoren
August 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
My Acer Travelmate did that under Windows as well as Ubuntu (and Arch, and Mandriva).

I always assumed it was a fail-safe default: Given no instruction, it runs at full speed.

ubunterooster
August 7th, 2010, 03:27 PM
During boot, hard drive and CPU are running at full speed and the fan does also to make up for it.

koleoptero
August 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I think it does that in case you turn it on exactly after it powers off due to overheating. Or it goes full speed till the bios is loaded and the computer sees the temperatures. Something like that.

Spice Weasel
August 7th, 2010, 03:51 PM
My server does this too, at first I thought it was a fan test in the BIOS but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn it off.

shkelzen
August 7th, 2010, 04:50 PM
My server does this too, at first I thought it was a fan test in the BIOS but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn it off.

mine does this continuously...

anything I can do? :)

Austin25
August 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I haven't really noticed, but I think it might. On the other hand, at least you can tel if you need to push the on button again.:D