PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation on AMD / VIA S3G unichrome

bsubbudu
August 7th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I have a desktop with AMD Sempron 3000+, 1.2GB RAM, VIA S3G Unichrome Pro IGP, VIA SATA RAID controller based disks, PS/2 mouse and keyboard running Windows XP.

Wanted to move to years ago favourite (linux based systems), I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 for i386 and am trying to install both using CD as well as USB.

After the Ubuntu start-up menu for installation, I select install Ubuntu option, turn off 'quiet' so that I can see what happens. The screen goes blank dark with a flashing cursor at the top.

In the kernel messages, the see that it has detected the processor, set the clock, assigned the PS/2 keyboard to input3 and then says:

[ 1.911624] isapnp: no plug and play device found

After this, the system hangs. Keyboard doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

S.R
August 7th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Did you try the alternate install download ... http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/alternative-download

bsubbudu
August 7th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Not yet. Am downloading the same.

In the meanwhile, wanted to try out with any other possible kernel command changes...

bsubbudu
August 7th, 2010, 01:34 PM
ok, I tried the alternate install. NO luck.

after vmlinuz and initrd loading, when it tries to check the devices, it reboots. NO messages too this time.

Need help!

bsubbudu
August 7th, 2010, 01:55 PM
There's an error that flashes for a millionth of a second :( while booting that says:
unrecognized keyboard configuration in gfxboot. I cant find anything to do with keyboard in the gfxboot config file:

----------------------------------------------------------
foreground=0xFFFFFF
background=0x958490
screen-colour=0x270A1E
label normal=Normal
append normal=
label oem=OEM install (for manufacturers)
append oem=oem-config/enable=true
applies oem=install
label cli=Install a command-line system
replace cli=file=/cdrom/preseed/cli.seed
applies cli=install
label ltsp=Install an LTSP server
replace ltsp=file=/cdrom/preseed/ltsp.seed
applies ltsp=install
-----------------------------------------------
any guidance?

S.R
August 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Try disabling USB Legacy Support in the BIOS.

rivenathos
August 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM
This may sound odd, but it has worked in the past for me when installing to a system with Via Unichrome or Chrome9 chipsets.

Instead of burning the ISO to a CD, burn it to a DVD. This is the exact same ISO, but using a DVD instead of a CD.

From what I gather, the SquashFS errors that can occur when using a CD are not present when using a DVD. I am not an expert, but can only verify that this method has been known to work for installing Ubuntu 9.04, 9.10, and 10.04. Hopefully this helps.

bsubbudu
August 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM
tried doing both, one at a time - disabling legacy USB as well as the DVD write. Same result. isapnp - no device found.

feeling stuck!

bsubbudu
August 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Went into the text mode finally and was able to go past the isapnp - no plug and play device found error.

Now, it asks me to specify a root device. how do I do it in the cli. all that I see is a boot:

Looking for help to get past.

S.R
August 8th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Beyond my level so I will give you a bump.

Don't know if it is feasible for you but have you thought about getting an USB wireless keyboard /mouse combo?

bsubbudu
August 8th, 2010, 09:33 AM
This must be a very simple thing that I am missing. Need help:

Alternate CD install of 10.04.

I get the Ubuntu install menu. I choose the 'install Ubuntu' option. Switch tab and remove 'quiet --'

Output:

It scans 0 and adds 0 RAID devices

RAMDISk: gzip image found at block 0
usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
List of all partitions: <<<<<<nothing gets listed here>>>>>>>
No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext3 ext2 ext4 fuseblk

Post this, I see a kernel panic with the now famous, yet another scenario, message 'not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)'

Wondering how to get this fixed.

Have tried switching BIOS config from RAID to IDE and back for SATA mode. Still no luck.

bsubbudu
August 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM
What is the scenario when it detects raid arrays but detects 0 disks?

Could it be a problem that Ubuntu does not work well with RAID where Windows XP is previously installed in another partition?

Am still hoping one of those experts will come by and answer :)