PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD Playback issue

saitoh
August 7th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Ok, I have a mostly fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 on my computer. I was planning on using this computer as a video sever with XBMC and FUPPES, but I'm experiencing some problems.

Right after installing Ubuntu and fully updating it, I checked to make sure the Universe, Multiverse, and Medibuntu repositories added. I then insalled libdvdread4 and libdvdcss2 (I used the script in /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4 even though I had the medibuntu repo). After doing this I still had no video from output from my dvds, so I installed all of the gstreamer libs(gross) and then I got totem to play back dvds. However, it's super choppy (because it's using gstreamer).

Mplayer, XBMC, and everything other than totem w/gstreamer still cannot play DVDs. I suspected that maybe there was an issue with my drive as it's a blu-ray drive. However a) the output of lshw -C disk looks fine and I ripped a movie to an iso and still encountered the same problems.

*-cdrom
description: DVD reader
product: BR-04B2T
vendor: ASUS
physical id: 0
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
logical name: /media/ANCHORMAN
version: 1.01
capabilities: removable audio dvd
configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gi d=1000,umask=77,iocharset=utf8 state=mounted status=ready
*-medium
physical id: 0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /media/ANCHORMAN
configuration: mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gi d=1000,umask=77,iocharset=utf8 state=mounted

Please do not bother replying if your going to post links to the generic libdvdcss install guides.

Otherwise any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nick_Jinn
August 7th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Have you tried updating and rebooting? I would install the entire medibuntu repository rather than just those two packages.

When I use Mint I never have to worry about messing around with this stuff. It just works the first time out. I use the DVD version with Flash and extras installed.

saitoh
August 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I have rebooted the computer since I did the install. I haven't looked at how many packages are in the medibuntu repo, but I'm not sure if I want to just install all of them blindly when supposedly the only two required to enable DVD playback are libdvdread4 and libdvdcss2.

I also installed ubuntu-restricted extras and the win32codecs from the medibuntu repo. But they shouldn't be required for dvd decoding.

Nick_Jinn
August 7th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Are you hard up for space on your disk? It might be a good experiment to see if it works after adding the whole repository.

Also, did you add the medibuntu repository to your software sources? Try it and then use aptitude to update.

saitoh
August 7th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I added the repo to /etc/apt/sources.list right after installing Ubuntu. So yes, I have updated all packages that might have newer versions from the Medibuntu repo.

Nick_Jinn
August 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
If it were me I would try to install the whole thing. It doesnt take up much room and it shouldnt slow down your machine.

lidex
August 8th, 2010, 08:42 PM
What do you have your video output configured as in Mplayer? Does the audio play? Post this output please:

sudo lshw -C display

mc4man
August 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
then I got totem to play back dvds. However, it's super choppy (because it's using gstreamer).
As was just mentioned by lidex your issue very well may be the video output being used, the default would be Xv.

While totem is and most likely will remain an awful dvd video player it's not because of gstreamer per se.
More from a half-baked resindvd and possible issues with the pulseaudio gstreamer plugin in some instances.

An output of x11 would be something to try with any player.