PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash plugin behaving differently in different user accounts

kaiwi
August 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hi there

My wife and I share a PC, each of us having his/her own user account.

In my account, the Adobe Flash Plugin for Firefox works perfectly.

In my wife's account, the Flash Plugin does not work. It is installed but it either crashes or is not loaded.

In both accounts, the Flash-Aid add-on is installed.

I don't know to which extent the Firefox installation is the same for different user accounts.

Can I tell Ubuntu to execute Firefox and the Flash plugin
in my wife's account in the same way (i.e. correctly) as in my account? Perhaps by exporting user parameters from my account to my wife's account?

Any suggestions are welcome

Cheers

lovinglinux
August 7th, 2010, 07:29 AM
If you are using FLASH-AID, then you should have the same flash for both accounts. BTW, you don't have to install FLASH-AID on both profiles.

Please login with her account and provide the info below. This will make sure I will have a good understanding of your Firefox and Flash installations, so I don't need to guess what might be happening to your system:

1 - Flash Version

Type about:config in Firefox address bar, then type plugin.expose_full_path in the filter, then double-click the same item in the results to make it true. Then type about:plugins in the address bar, find Shockwave Flash, copy the corresponding Path and Version and paste here. it should look lie the image below:

http://tinyurl.com/287j7on

2 - Firefox version and architecture

To find Firefox version and architecture, click "Help >> About Mozilla Firefox" in the menu. The info will be located at the bottom of the info dialog:

http://tinyurl.com/26b85o2

3 - System Info

Execute the following commands then copy the generated file, named firefox-report.txt from your Desktop and upload it here or paste the contents.

To execute those commands, select the entire content below, then go to "Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal" and click the terminal with the middle-mouse button.

echo 'Ubuntu Architecture' > ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo '' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
uname -a >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Ubuntu Version' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
cat /etc/lsb-release >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Firefox Packages' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
dpkg --get-selections | grep 'firefox*' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Firefox binaries' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
which firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /usr/bin/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /usr/local/bin/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /opt/firefox/firefox >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Firefox divertion' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Sources' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Flash packages' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
dpkg --get-selections | grep 'flash*' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Plugin locations' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
locate libflashplayer.so >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
locate flashplugin-alternative.so >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
echo 'Flash symlinks' >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
file /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so >> ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt
firefox ~/Desktop/firefox-report.txt

kaiwi
August 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hi lovinglinux,

firstly, thank you for your help!

In my wife's account, Firefox gives the following info:

1 - Shockwave Flash

File: /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
Version:
Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes

2 - Firefox Version:

version 3.6.8
Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu
canonical - 1.0

3 - System Info

Please see the attached file, firefox-report.txt

lovinglinux
August 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I don't see anything wrong with her setup.

You could try to remove adobe-flashplugin and install flashplugin-installer. They are essentially the same thing, but sometimes installing one or the other makes some difference.

sudo apt-get purge adobe-flashplugin
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

If that doesn't help, try to create a new Firefox profile on her account to see if there is something like an extension interfering.

You can access the profile manager with:

firefox -P

kaiwi
August 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks lovinglinux.

I followed your suggestions (in particular deleted my wife's firefox profile and created new one), but to no avail. I tested Firefox Flash plugin by going to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/. The plugin still works fine in my account but crashes in hers.

You could try to remove adobe-flashplugin and install flashplugin-installer. They are essentially the same thing, but sometimes installing one or the other makes some difference.

sudo apt-get purge adobe-flashplugin
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

If that doesn't help, try to create a new Firefox profile on her account to see if there is something like an extension interfering.

You can access the profile manager with:

firefox -P

lovinglinux
August 8th, 2010, 07:09 PM
It must be some gnome settings on her account that are messing with flash. Try to create a third user to see if the problem persists.

Do you have Moonlight extension installed? Check if you have the libmoon package and remove it.

kaiwi
August 8th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Brilliant idea, lovinglinux! For my new test user, the plugin works. I think I'll simply create a new account for my wife and delete her existing one.

I haven't got the Moonlight extension installed.

I think the problem is solved for me. I'm not going to mark the thread as 'solved' yet, as we haven't identified the actual cause of the trouble.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance!!

It must be some gnome settings on her account that are messing with flash. Try to create a third user to see if the problem persists.

Do you have Moonlight extension installed? Check if you have the libmoon package and remove it.

lovinglinux
August 9th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Brilliant idea, lovinglinux! For my new test user, the plugin works. I think I'll simply create a new account for my wife and delete her existing one.

I haven't got the Moonlight extension installed.

I think the problem is solved for me. I'm not going to mark the thread as 'solved' yet, as we haven't identified the actual cause of the trouble.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance!!

You are welcome. I wish we could pinpoint the source of the problem, but I'm more convinced now that the troubles with flash in Firefox are caused by Ubuntu+Gnome+Flash and not Firefox itself. You are not the first one with this scenario.