PDA

View Full Version : Any good anti malware?

mamamia88
August 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM
You will all tell me it's useless but I would rather be aware of any spyware on my computer. Just because it may be inert on a linux system doesn't mean it's not there. so is there a good scanner for ubuntu?

oldsoundguy
August 6th, 2010, 08:54 PM
You will all tell me it's useless but I would rather be aware of any spyware on my computer. Just because it may be inert on a linux system doesn't mean it's not there. so is there a good scanner for ubuntu?

Did you install the spyware yourself? As that is the only way it will get installed (keyloggers, for instance).
Because of the nature of the Linux system and the way programs are installed, the chances of installing spyware on your computer is slim and NONE if you confine your software sources to the repositories and KNOWN AND REPUTABLE ppa's.

_h_
August 6th, 2010, 08:55 PM
ClamAV.

mamamia88
August 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Did you install the spyware yourself? As that is the only way it will get installed (keyloggers, for instance).
Because of the nature of the Linux system and the way programs are installed, the chances of installing spyware on your computer is slim and NONE if you confine your software sources to the repositories and KNOWN AND REPUTABLE ppa's.

no i was just curious. in process of coming back to ubuntu after having switched to windows for a week or so because of what i thought was a software problem but was really a hardware problem. and in that week i've been kind of paranoid

Frogs Hair
August 6th, 2010, 09:24 PM
If you feel the need try this http://www.avast.com/linux-home-edition#tab3 I have used avast on windows in the past.

mamamia88
August 6th, 2010, 09:31 PM
hey man had no idea avast had a linux version. It can't hurt to have it just in case.

Lucradia
August 6th, 2010, 10:49 PM
hey man had no idea avast had a linux version. It can't hurt to have it just in case.

Most linux AVs (such as AVG Linux) only scan for Windows viruses.

ronnielsen1
August 6th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Might as well do a forced fsck -a so you can defrag every reboot too. You don't need to but. . .
:popcorn:

mamamia88
August 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Most linux AVs (such as AVG Linux) only scan for Windows viruses. even so i have a separate harddrive for windows but i might want to share files

BigCityCat
August 6th, 2010, 11:00 PM
This is a good one and it's really easy to install. You can scan your windows partition from Ubuntu with it. It's free

Oh yeh it's really only good when your windows gets jacked with viri and you need to scan while windows is sleeping.

http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/#

rjbl
August 9th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the URL. I had no idea AWIL were doing one for Linux. I've used AVAST on Windows for years - it's as good as it gets and a real system saver. Probably won't bother with running it on my linux boxes - malwares just ain't a significant issue in Linux systems.

ATB
rjbl

rjbl
August 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah, that would be because there are almost no, repeat no, Linux viruses and the Linux execution model more or less precludes almost all viral infection attempts actually succeeding.

rjbl