PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Light / Unity / Netbook / Etc....

Shibblet
August 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'm getting pretty hyped about the release of Ubuntu Unity. But I have some questions.

If this is going to be a Netbook style release, that allows for "passthrough" booting into Windows, does it work side by side with Ubuntu as well, or is it a full Ubuntu distro?

Maybe I should clarify...

When you turn on your netbook, you'll boot to Ubuntu Unity. Do you then choose to boot to Ubuntu or Windows through Unity?

VeeDubb
August 9th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Unity is simply an alternative to running a "desktop" window manager like gnome or KDE. It is part of a full linux distribution.

In short, you're thinking of express gate, which has nothing to do with unity. If you boot into Unity, you boot into Unity.

KdotJ
August 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Basically, think of unity as an alternative to GNOME, KDE and XFCE.
It has nothing to do with booting or grub. You will be able to select what desktop environment at the GDM (login screen).

Shibblet
August 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Gotcha. So Unity is the new fast booting interface for the netbooks.

In the demo video that I watched, there was a boot-through to Windows. I am assuming it works that way. I was also wondering if you can make a choice between the Unity interface and Gnome, like the current version of NBR.

KdotJ
August 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Yes you will be able to decide at login whether you boot in to Unity, or standard Gnome. As for booting through to Windows, I'm not to sure on that. Surely that's just GRUB? Maybe the video was something to do with a VM?