PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Monitor resolution-monitor no recognized

Stroman
August 6th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I have 3 Ubuntu 10.04 installs running on 3 separate computers. All were updated from the 9.03 (i think thats right description) version. Two of them work fine. One version does not recognize the monitor (tried 2 different monitors) and has the resolution set to 856 x 600 maximum (I am not on one of them so that might not be exactly right resolution). What do i do to get the right drivers to run at higher resolution. The problem is that the picture is too big for the viewing area. I'm new to Ubuntu and obviously limited in knowledge, but am enjoying learning the system. I also have the problem someone else posted where I installed Ubuntu in a computer with Windows XP already installed. Ubuntu works fine, and Windows shows up in the boot menu, but when i try to boot to windows, i get the black screen with a flashing cursor. Any help anyone can offer this old duffer will be greatly appreciated.
Stroman

TimEnid
August 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM
how are the monitors connected? dvi? hdmi?

Stroman
August 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I have 3 Ubuntu 10.04 installs running on 3 separate computers. All were updated from the 9.03 (i think thats right description) version. Two of them work fine. One version does not recognize the monitor (tried 2 different monitors) and has the resolution set to 856 x 600 maximum (I am not on one of them so that might not be exactly right resolution). What do i do to get the right drivers to run at higher resolution. The problem is that the picture is too big for the viewing area. I'm new to Ubuntu and obviously limited in knowledge, but am enjoying learning the system. I also have the problem someone else posted where I installed Ubuntu in a computer with Windows XP already installed. Ubuntu works fine, and Windows shows up in the boot menu, but when i try to boot to windows, i get the black screen with a flashing cursor. Any help anyone can offer this old duffer will be greatly appreciated.
Stroman
Help!!

Stroman
August 6th, 2010, 05:56 PM
how are the monitors connected? dvi? hdmi?
All DVI

TimEnid
August 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM
All DVI

type this in a terminal to bring up the ATI CCC
DISPLAY=:0 amdcccle

go into the the display setting and use the slider to adjust the size of the screen.

Stroman
August 6th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Thank You, I will try this when i get home.
Stroman

Stroman
August 7th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Tried going into terminal and typing Display=:0 amdcccle got no results. Need monitor settings of at least 1024 x 768 pixels. Cannot get higher than 856 x 600 which makes picture too big for screen. The monitor we are using is an Acer 22 in LCD. I had the same trouble with a 14 in HP.

TimEnid
August 7th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Tried going into terminal and typing Display=:0 amdcccle got no results. Need monitor settings of at least 1024 x 768 pixels. Cannot get higher than 856 x 600 which makes picture too big for screen. The monitor we are using is an Acer 22 in LCD. I had the same trouble with a 14 in HP.

did the ATI CCC pop up when you typed that in?

Stroman
August 7th, 2010, 03:30 AM
No, it just dropped down a line and gave me a solid curser

cavalier911
August 7th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Follow my post here to generate an xorg.conf
to edit to force xserver to display 1024x768.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1544285

TimEnid
August 7th, 2010, 04:06 AM
No, it just dropped down a line and gave me a solid curser

i just did it and got the Catalayst Control Center.
DISPLAY=:0 amdcccle