PDA

View Full Version : facebook and linux, what's the problem?

x-shaney-x
August 6th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Although I'm not a heavy facebook user, the missus is and it seems when it comes to anything facebook related on linux, she is being blocked at every turn.

Until recently, flash didn't work fully with fb games but that seems to be behaving now.

The facebook export plugin doesn't work with picasa linux.

F-spot's fb exporter hangs on login, works in PPA version but won't let her add photos to existing album so more faffing needed.

Shotwell's fb exorter is the same album-wise, won't let her add to an existing album.

And again, same thing with digikam's fb exporter.

Gwibber. Ohhhh, I could write pages on the faults with gwibber and facebook.

Empathy, looking around the forum you will see the problem people have had with empathy-facebook chat (not tried pidgin).

In fact the only trouble-free experience I have had with anything facebook related is KDE's facebook widget which seems to work fine.

All these problems were magnified after I was playing with windows 7 over the past couple of days and found how well things worked with facebook and am thinking over moving the missus back to windows (less strops and swearing!)

So what exactly is the problem with facebook and linux?

TNT1
August 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Have no idea. I avoid youtwitface like the plague, but my wife uses it constantly, and has been on Ubuntu for 2 years now. My mom as well, although she has only been on Ubuntu for around 6 months now.

eriktheblu
August 6th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I really don't have any problems with Facebook, however I'm not using the related software you mentioned.

wkhasintha
August 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Could be a browser related issue , I frequently use facebook via Chromium ,haven't had any snag so far, though i don't use fb games and apps .

x-shaney-x
August 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
No it does work in a browser just fine. The flash related issues seem fixed these days but was a problem for a long time.

Facebook in itself, the website is fine it's the various apps and plugins that are supposed to make facebook more convenient from the desktop that are the problem.

For example:
If you use the default f-spot as your photo manager and you want to upload a photo.
With the f-spot folder structure of dates, trying to browse to a particular photo from facebook's own photo uploader would be a nightmare.
That's where the export plugin comes in, meaning you can browse photos in f-spot and instantly upload it to facebook. Easy.
Except it isn't because like I said, it hangs and never logs in and in newer versions she has to upload them then go back to facebook to create albums and move photos around.

earthpigg
August 6th, 2010, 09:17 PM
No it does work in a browser just fine. The flash related issues seem fixed these days but was a problem for a long time.

i don't recall any flash-related issues. my mom plays farmville and all that stuff on 32-bit ubuntu, has since 9.04.

alexan
August 6th, 2010, 10:27 PM
FB? quit it

kelvin spratt
August 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
My wife uses Face-book all the time with Linux and firefox every thing works out the box she uploads pics and vids uses the chat etc.

Lucradia
August 6th, 2010, 10:38 PM
FB? quit it

Those quit services are not good enough in comparison to FB's delete account service. Although you have to wait 14 days for Facebook to delete it, IT DOES get deleted. Friends will see your previous wall posts as "null" for your username on facebook.

CraigPaleo
August 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I haven't tried this myself but there's a browser specifically for social networking sites. Might want to check it out. http://www.flock.com/

Linye
August 6th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Seems like everybody is posting solutions without reading the first post.

tmsbrdrs
December 16th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I've been using Gwibber since 10.04. Once I upgraded to 10.10 I haven't had problems since, are you still on 10.04?

As for Shotwell, I just tried it out since I hadn't before. Didn't even know the functionality was there so thanks for letting me know. It works perfectly for me, took less time to upload the pic than going to the site and it's much more convenient for multiple file uploads.

If you haven't already, sounds like it's about time to upgrade your wife to 10.10. Or perhaps just upgrade her apps to the newest versions.

Khakilang
December 16th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Haven't had any issue with Facebook. When I want to upload a photo, I just pick one from my Picture folder. No flash issue either since I registered. Games play well. Maybe I try Shotwell and Picasa to check it out.

m4tic
December 16th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Haven't had any issue with Facebook. When I want to upload a photo, I just pick one from my Picture folder. No flash issue either since I registered. Games play well. Maybe I try Shotwell and Picasa to check it out.

Do you have solutions to the OP's questions? The problem is with the programs listed

tmsbrdrs
December 16th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I mixed up the problems with f-spot and shotwell. The problem with adding to an existing album is confirmed from what I'm seeing.It won't publish to an existing album. As with Gwibber, I'm still not sure exactly what the problems are that you're seeing.

As I stated, I haven't seen any since upgrading to 10.10.