PDA

View Full Version : Funny thing happened today

Scooter_X
August 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
So there I was at the bookstore of a local university, standing next to a slew of shiny macs but talking about how cool Linux is to one of my buddies. He was expressing his concern for being able to have Microsoft Office, and does it work on Linux, etc etc. I was telling him about Open Office and saying about how it's great because it does pretty much anything you could want that Microsoft Office does, you can save into Microsoft Office format if you need to email stuff to other people, and as I was talking about OO presentation, some girl who had been listening to me talk about how much "better IT is" and "cooler IT is" walked by and said to him "yea, he totally knows what he's talking about. Apple's Keynote is pretty cool." Hahaha... I know, I know. Many people have been heard saying: "Oh, it's not a PC, It's a MAC!!" But today I kinda had it happen to me, and had to share. I thought it was way funny.

spoons
August 5th, 2010, 10:37 PM
The REAL story here I think is that a girl tried to display her interest in you by backing you up and you totally missed it. :p

Ric_NYC
August 5th, 2010, 10:53 PM
the real story here i think is that a girl tried to display her interest in you by backing you up and you totally missed it. :p

:p

sydbat
August 5th, 2010, 11:00 PM
The REAL story here I think is that a girl tried to display her interest in you by backing you up and you totally missed it. :pSnap.

Scooter_X
August 5th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Hahaha.... dang I was wondering if anyone was going to say that. I thought that too. I shoulda' got her for my buddy, I'm already married. Oh well.

spoons
August 5th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Sorry, I seem to have ruined a perfectly good thread! :P
As for your actual point, which I sorely stepped over in favour of humour, well, I've found that Open Office feels a little clunkier than Microsoft Office does. Maybe that's just me.

Scooter_X
August 5th, 2010, 11:41 PM
As for your actual point, which I sorely stepped over in favour of humour, well, I've found that Open Office feels a little clunkier than Microsoft Office does. Maybe that's just me.

Haha. No big deal.

I do have to agree tho, Open Office is a little clunky. Is there an alternative? Or just use Microsoft Office in Wine...

TriBlox6432
August 6th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I would use microsoft office in wine, but the licneses are too damn expensive to justify.

jerenept
August 6th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Maybe you could try WordPerfect or Abiword/Gnumeric or KOffice (Although, i will say, i like OpenOffice. It really is good for my normal home use.).

pipemartinm
August 6th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I would use microsoft office in wine, but the licneses are too damn expensive to justify.
Not wanting to pay for office is a seperate issue entirely :D. Has anyone run MS Office through wine? How well does it run? More or less clunky than Open Office running natively?

jroa
August 6th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I love OO and I have been using it for years. I had MS Office and OO running on the same computer for a long time, but I rarely ever used anything but OO. I do run into formatting problems every once in a while, but it is not that big of a deal.

I was taking online classes several years ago and the school tried to tell all of the students that they had to buy the student MS Office so that the professors could read the work. I stuck to OO and even got a few classmates to switch so they would not have to shell out the bucks for the MS version. Not one of them complained, in fact, several of them thanked me for showing them the light.

Scooter_X
August 6th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I do run into formatting problems every once in a while, but it is not that big of a deal.

Only thing that really really bugs me is that I want to keep the format on some work documents the same from OO Spreadsheet to MS Excel, and it never stays the way it should, blows stuff out of proportion, etc.

I was taking online classes several years ago and the school tried to tell all of the students that they had to buy the student MS Office so that the professors could read the work. I stuck to OO and even got a few classmates to switch so they would not have to shell out the bucks for the MS version. Not one of them complained, in fact, several of them thanked me for showing them the light.

I bet they were glad, I'd hate to HAVE to buy MS office. The price of books is bad enough as it is!

Legendary_Bibo
August 6th, 2010, 05:19 AM
I have MS Office 2007 and I installed it to my computer (when I had Vista, before it broke itself), my friend's computer, and my dad's computer. Apparently there's only three licenses, but I'm not sure about that because I can't seem to get my virtual box of XP to see any discs. Oh well I've got a few years to figure it out, as long as I can access the Office 2007 through Citrix my school uses I'll be fine. So far OO is fine, I only use it for school reports because I'm only in math and science courses, and it's so much easier to write formulas!

lisati
August 6th, 2010, 05:22 AM
My current laptop came with a trialware version of MS Office preloaded. I used it off and on until the trial period ended, and then I removed it and installed OO.

jroa
August 6th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Only thing that really really bugs me is that I want to keep the format on some work documents the same from OO Spreadsheet to MS Excel, and it never stays the way it should, blows stuff out of proportion, etc.

I bet they were glad, I'd hate to HAVE to buy MS office. The price of books is bad enough as it is!

I have had a few problems with spreadsheets and word processing documents, but mainly I have problems with presentations. I can never seem to get the charts to transfer the same between PowerPoint and Impress.

Shining Arcanine
August 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM

The formatting in Open Office is not as nice as it is in Microsoft Office and have fun printing envelopes in Open Office. I have tried it and it does not work well. I wasted approximately 15 envelopes before I installed Microsoft Office via WINE.

Spice Weasel
August 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I prefer AbiWord and gnumeric to Open Office, the only thing I use OO for is Impress and I've never had any problems. I tried MS Office 2007 (or 2008? I can't remember) on my parents laptop and found it far too sluggish, and the user interface is unnecessary. I only really majorly used the 2003 version, and even that felt sluggish but it was very easy to use.

Anywho, in my opinion MS Office really isn't worth the ridiculous costs. I suppose quite a lot of people get heavy discounts on it (students, corporations) but still, if it was me buying it I'd call myself an idiot for spending that much on it.

wkhasintha
August 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
The REAL story here I think is that a girl tried to display her interest in you by backing you up and you totally missed it. :p

:lolflag:

rjbl
August 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Nah... not really. You've intrigued alot of us out here though. Care to lend us a few of your insights into Measures of Clunkiness, like what this quality is and how it can calibrated?

Thanks
rjbl