PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Window buttons in 10.04

dava4444
August 5th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Hi

I installed Ubuntu 10.04, i like this cat :)

I upgraded to UbuntuStudio via Synaptic, as i think i might do some audio visual work. anyhoo the window buttons where a little messed up, so i switched back to the Mac layout instead of Windows via gconf-editor and apps>metacity> general ...But I was thinking is there a way to add another button a forth button that snaps a half page? like on Windows 7? i know there are solutions for this, although they disable the use of other desktops, admittedly i don't use the other desktops, but one day i *hope* i will get the vibe and understand.

I lived in Windows for years and summered lol with Ubuntu (since 7.10), i have recently (this year) got into Macs, and i prefer that Canonical is taking on Apple, and Ubuntu is a quality OS, and the best Linux in the World, even recommended by Dr. Sheldon Cooper (from the comedy show The Big Bang Theory).. lol just thought i would give a 'big up', it is on my mini 9 permanently now, i also have it in Wubi on my IBM Lenny (Lenovo)

the problems are mostly gone from older distros 9.04/9.10, i still find some installation problems*, but as long as i have the essentials,.. I'm cool so Ubuntu's cool. and ssooo glad to see Cairo Dock officially supported in Software Centre, I own a MacBook (thank you Lord) and OSX 10.6 and have OSX Dock, honestly Cairo is better IMHO.

*it brings me relief and joy that we use .debs.. the older bader days of spending two hours in terminal are over!! woohoo!
I just meant instability and errors, icon errors, visual errors of a program after installation. is it just me? or is firefrox getting worse for ?almost? crashing? but i still like it also on netbooks Google Chrome is super fast, like that too.

God Bless

Dava

p.s anyone know the wifi icon fix?

JonasDK
August 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM
You can fill half your workspace with setting up a keyboard-command in Compiz:

sudo apt-get install compiz config-settings-managerWhen you start that up go to Windows Management.

Were you bothered by the window buttons being on the left side? You could've changed that by doing this (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13535/move-window-buttons-back-to-the-right-in-ubuntu-10.04/).

Greets,
Jonas

PS: I loved that part where Sheldon says that tag-line about Ubuntu. :p

dava4444
August 5th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hi Jonas!

I tried to get it working last night messing around with compiz, but all i did was end making the multi desktops move with the pointer at the edge, can't find how to change it now :( every time i go for the scrollbar i pop into the next screen :S ah well lol

I like the mac layout with the buttons on the left, dunno why but im used to it now, got used to it very easily, lol maybe i was meant be a 'lefty' lol

what i was meaning about a fourth button was, if we had a forth window button instead of just three we could use the forth as a half snap, all the other have 'mize' as in minimize and maximize, but halfmize sounds stupid lol.

i think Sheldon uses Wubi on his Dell Alienware as he also has 7 on it, but they use macs too, 'cept Sheldon :D

if you like big bang, we could thread on here at The Community Cafe and chat about it?

thanx

Dava

Ginsu543
August 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM
You can also change the window button layout easily and quickly using Ubuntu Tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/). Just go to "Window Manager Settings" and click "left" or "right" for "Place."

As far as Sheldon goes, I believe that he runs Ubuntu natively (not using Wubi), since in one episode he stays home to initialize and reinstall all his OSes because he doesn't have enough room to add a Linux partition.

dava4444
August 6th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hi Ginsu!

yeah I have the buttons back to Mac :D

Tweek is a full on program, i get a bit lost in it, well.. last time i tried it last year. but thanks for the recomendation (sorry about the spelling, just did a fresh install of bootcamp)

Do you think Penny is just 'pretty fodder'? we don't really get to know her, only her surface. I like they toned down the blasphemy from the first/second series, and that Sheldon honors Jesus, so the show isn't too secular, I'm sick of everyone blasting God, which is too common in Tech/Sci-fi shows.

need to find secondary click!!!!!! (on my macbook with windows lol)

peace in Jesus

Dava

wilee-nilee
August 6th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Here is a link on getting the half page aero snap setup with compiz.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/aero-snap-ubuntu-linux.html

_h_
August 6th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Some of the preinstalled Themes on Appearence Preferences will move the min,max,close buttons over back to the right side.

dava4444
August 8th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Hi

yeah im goiny avoid themes, i have it sorted now anyway. but i still think an extra button would be cool, thought of a name, so it could go,
Close, Minimize, Maximize,Halfmast:Menu

if i could code, i would do it myself and offer it as a .deb .
just had another thought half full screen, removing bars. need more space on my mini 9 screen. och, anyway..

thanks guys

God Bless

Dava