PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Help Installing

zarz4
August 5th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Im trying to install Kubuntu latest versions on a formatted PC, however when i try to start or install kubuntu, the screen flashes onto a screen on black and white stripes then goes to command line mode saying welcome to kubuntu and asking for commands :S

mikewhatever
August 5th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I've never seen a screen flashing onto a screen, but nevermind, will you post the hardware specs.

zarz4
August 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying,
Hardware is MSI 865GM2 motherboard 2.0GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor, built in VGA, 80GB harddrive

zarz4
August 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM
sorry, i meant the screen flashes, displays a an image of black and white horizontal bars then changes to command type mode

RamsesII
August 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Well my dear zarz4 when it likes that in most of the cases it means that the distribution (in your case Kubuntu) doesn't include by default compatible video card driver for your video card. And there's not much to do in that case.

The simplest solution from my standpoint would be to install it if possible then look for the appropriate driver for your video card and install them manually in your console-only-session Linux. If you cannot install that distribution at all, try an older one. Upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 and install yourself KDE and the required drivers from Synaptic. Hope this would help.

RamsesII