PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] help trying to install

AlphaTheNeko
August 5th, 2010, 12:45 AM
hi guys, im new to the site, ubuntu and linux in general. let me just start by apologising for no capitals in this post, the cap locks button is broken.

so, i've downloaded the 10.04 lst x64desktop iso and burned it to 4 different discs. 3 dvd's and 1 cd. they all have the same problem.

i get to the first screen for linux (the very first menu after turning on the pc and selecting the disc to boot, it has the ubuntu logo on it.) and i select any item (though for here, its the test mode).

when i select anything, it begins to spin up, and loads up, i can hear it going like crazy, reading well, then the screen goes blank. a few moments later, the screen blank, the disc stops, completely ! nothing starts the isc up again, even if i leave it there.

and it happens with each disc.

also, im using a laptop (not a netbook, but a proper laptop).
these are the spec of my laptop :

cpu : intel penitum dual cpu t2330 @ 1.60 ghz each
gpu : ati (sorry, best i know about my gpu, i just re-installed windows 7)
ram : 1gb

i am trying to boot with windows 7 as well, and have never had any problems with dual boo before, i deleted all partitions, and started the hdd as if new.

if anyone can help with this, i'd appreciate it alot !:p

(ps : i had alot more typed up, but i hit back by accident and lost it all...and its late here and im knackered after sitting here all day trying to get this working.)

thans in advanced guys !):P

snowpine
August 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Welcome to the forums!

A good first step is to use the check CD for defects option to verify your burn.

If your CD drive is being flaky and thrashing away, you could try installing from a USB thumb drive: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

AlphaTheNeko
August 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I haven't really tried the usb installer, because i don't have any devices large enough. The only thing i have is an old 30 gig ipod. Is it possible to use that maybe ???

edit : apprently not.....

edit2 : fixed it by using 9.10 karmic koala and upgrading to 10.04 lucid lynx !