PDA

View Full Version : Very Well Supported Netbooks?

asddf
August 4th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I'm looking to get a netbook but was wondering what netbooks are very well supported under the Linux distros?

What manufacturers use parts with open source drivers?

snowpine
August 4th, 2010, 07:28 PM
The obvious choice is System76; their netbooks come with 10.04 preinstalled, and they even have a sub-forum here on UbuntuForums! (I don't own one so I can't personally vouch.)

Other netbook models are discussed on this must-read wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

asddf
August 4th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I'm in the UK so have to discount system76

tgm4883
August 4th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Dell has the mini 10. I think it uses a Broadcom network chipset though so not completely open source. It's pretty well supported though.

pcgeekguru
August 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Well so far i have ubuntu netbook edition installed on this machine, but im looking for a distro for my other netbook. I already tried puppy linux and didnt like it too well and i still have yet to try jolicloud. I would try to do a search in yahoo or some other search engine under " linux netbook distros" or something similar to that. Thats how i found ubuntu netbook edition.

BrokenKingpin
August 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM
My Acer Aspire One 532h runs perfectly under Ubuntu 10.04 desktop out of the box with no restricted drivers.

snowpine
August 4th, 2010, 10:23 PM
pcgeekguru, a netbook is just a small computer. All of the major distros support netbooks, and you do not necessarily need a "netbook distro."

mendhak
August 4th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I'm looking to get a netbook but was wondering what netbooks are very well supported under the Linux distros?

What manufacturers use parts with open source drivers?
I have Asus EEE with eeebuntu installed; it is good in the sense that it's popular, so if you have problems, it's easy to find a solution or answer somewhere. Not aware of any official support.

cherva
August 4th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I Have Asus EeePC 1005HA and everything is working ... even the top left key that disables the touch pad ....

pcgeekguru
August 4th, 2010, 10:41 PM
pcgeekguru, a netbook is just a small computer. All of the major distros support netbooks, and you do not necessarily need a "netbook distro."

yeah i know but im picky. i tried pclinuxos before and the screen was too stretched out so i would rather have a netbook specific distro to fit my screen better.

snowpine
August 4th, 2010, 10:49 PM
yeah i know but im picky. i tried pclinuxos before and the screen was too stretched out so i would rather have a netbook specific distro to fit my screen better.

If your screen is "stretched out" it's possible your graphics card is not recognized and is displaying the wrong resolution. Which graphic card do you have?

tgm4883
August 4th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Yea, sounds like a resolution issue.

pcgeekguru
August 5th, 2010, 12:29 AM
If your screen is "stretched out" it's possible your graphics card is not recognized and is displaying the wrong resolution. Which graphic card do you have?

Well all I know is that its an intel graphics driver. So I'm guessing it's an intel grapics card.

snowpine
August 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Well all I know is that its an intel graphics driver. So I'm guessing it's an intel grapics card.

Intel makes several different graphics cards; you can use the following terminal command to find out exactly which one:

lspci | grep VGA

pcgeekguru
August 5th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Well i have an eepc 900hd netbook so I might try eeebuntu 3.0 NBR and see what happens.

lancest
August 5th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Just bought an MSI U230 (http://www.amazon.com/MSI-U230-040US-12-1-Inch-Netbook-Battery/dp/B0036OR9BK) with no operating system.
Runs great with a few minor tweaks.
Plays HD video smoothly.

NormanFLinux
August 5th, 2010, 03:53 AM
My Dell Mini 10's Poulsbo drivers are supported under PCLOS. It also supports the HP Mini 2133's Chrome drivers.

NormanFLinux
August 5th, 2010, 03:56 AM
You can select netbook within KDE 4.4.5 to set up a netbook configuration. Lubuntu offers a netbook option for those who want to run one under LXDE.

3rdalbum
August 5th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Acer Aspire One is virtually a reference platform for Ubuntu; I believe Canonical tests Ubuntu on some Aspire Ones. Both my old 8.9 inch, and my newer 10 inch dual-boot Android model work perfectly* on 10.04.

*Not quite perfectly, but pretty close. Suspending, resuming and then shutting down will still cause an onboard device to use power and drain your battery. You need to either avoid suspending entirely, or remove the battery after you have been suspending.

Paqman
August 5th, 2010, 09:03 AM
The EeePCs seem to work really well. I can definitely vouch for the 901 and the 1000HG on Ubuntu Netbook Edition. Everything works prefectly, all the special function keys, the built in 3G on the 1000, etc.

pcgeekguru
August 7th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Intel makes several different graphics cards; you can use the following terminal command to find out exactly which one:

lspci | grep VGA

Do you put the spaces in like you have there or can they be all together?

snowpine
August 7th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Do you put the spaces in like you have there or can they be all together?

Copy & paste so you don't make any typos. :)

Legendary_Bibo
August 7th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Jolicloud looks great, but what if you're not constantly hooked up to the internet? Unless it lets you have a mix of cloud and local applications then I would say it's definitely awesome. That's the problem I have with these cloud OSs, it's either everything is on the cloud, or everything is local, there's never a mix. That's why I'm skeptical about Chrome OS.