PDA

View Full Version : Just Found 2 Mint-Condition Copies of XP: Can I get my Windows Refund?

Groucho Marxist
August 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I was cleaning out my mother's computer desk and discovered two shrink-wrapped copies of Windows XP Professional from previous Dell computers we owned. The packaging reads "For distribution only with a new PC," and bears the phrase "For distribution with a new Dell PC only." Is it still possible for me to get a Windows refund from these if I contact Dell?

Phrea
August 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I really doubt it...

snowpine
August 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
You didn't pay for Windows (Dell provided it free of charge, preinstalled on the computers) so why would they give you a refund? That just doesn't make sense.

jimbob
August 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Look on Ebay. Those things are still selling for a good price believe it or not.

Groucho Marxist
August 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
You didn't pay for Windows (Dell provided it free of charge, preinstalled on the computers) so why would they give you a refund? That just doesn't make sense.

I am asking because I am unsure if these possible back-up copies are eligible. If they are not, then my problem is solved.

Look on Ebay. Those things are still selling for a good price believe it or not.

Thank you. :) That could be a practical and constructive solution to my quandary.

ELD
August 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM

Actually a fair few people have contacted their pc maker and got a refund for a Windows license provided with the PC since they don't use it.
Just because it's pre-installed by a company means nothing, it's still giving you an individual valid license.

But simply finding them in a desk when they are for older computers will get you jack.

snowpine
August 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Actually a fair few people have contacted their pc maker and got a refund for a Windows license provided with the PC since they don't use it.
Just because it's pre-installed by a company means nothing, it's still giving you an individual valid license.

Well fair enough, but unless you have a receipt that says something like:

Dell computer $999
Windows XP $79

how do you know the amount of the refund?

ELD
August 4th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Well fair enough, but unless you have a receipt that says something like:

Dell computer $999
Windows XP $79

how do you know the amount of the refund?

That is worked out their end - it's called the Windows Tax. There have been multiple posts on these forums before - there was a massive one where a few people posted their success stories.

Give it a quick google and it shows you a fair bit.

TheNerdAL
August 4th, 2010, 07:58 PM
That is worked out their end - it's called the Windows Tax. There have been multiple posts on these forums before - there was a massive one where a few people posted their success stories.

Give it a quick google and it shows you a fair bit.

:o

-looks for a Windows 7 CD that might've come with my sister's laptop.:p-

mikewhatever
August 4th, 2010, 07:59 PM

WOW! Didn't expect that from you. Do you realize that what you said is simply not true?

earthpigg
August 4th, 2010, 07:59 PM
keep em for 10 years, i suspect they will become a collector's item.

snowpine
August 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Actually, Dell often charges more for the same computer with Ubuntu (already discussed to death on these forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=462784)), therefore the "Windows Tax" is negative, and if you return Windows, you owe Dell for the difference. ;)

My vote is eBay. :)

KiwiNZ
August 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Some points

1. No such thing as Windows Tax

2. Although still shrink wrapped was the OS used on the PC or PCs concerned? if so then benefit has been gained and a refund should not be gained.

3. The PCs were purchased knowing the OS was preinstalled eg Terms and conditions and it has clearly been quite some time since purchase. So again I would say Dell and MS are under no obligation.

Groucho Marxist
August 4th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Some points
2. Although still shrink wrapped was the OS used on the PC or PCs concerned? if so then benefit has been gained and a refund should not be gained.

I've had nothing but trouble with Dell over the years, so the benefits have been minimal at best. In terms of the original question, I can see what you're saying.

3. The PCs were purchased knowing the OS was preinstalled eg Terms and conditions and it has clearly been quite some time since purchase. So again I would say Dell and MS are under no obligation.

That makes sense; like I was saying, I wasn't quite sure so I wanted to post and find out. Thank you for eliminating that which was obfuscating my understanding of the refund. :)

Another question; would selling these as-is on eBay be against the EULA/whatever other laws govern Windows software? I sell stuff all the time (i.e. comics, CDs, DVDs, etc) but I've never sold software via online auction sites.

KiwiNZ
August 4th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I've had nothing but trouble with Dell over the years, so the benefits have been minimal at best. In terms of the original question, I can see what you're saying.

That makes sense; like I was saying, I wasn't quite sure so I wanted to post and find out. Thank you for eliminating that which was obfuscating my understanding of the refund. :)

Another question; would selling these as-is on eBay be against the EULA/whatever other laws govern Windows software? I sell stuff all the time (i.e. comics, CDs, DVDs, etc) but I've never sold software via online auction sites.

My understanding of the EULA for these is that they are sold for use on the machine for which they are sold with only and are not transferrable.

Zorgoth
August 4th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I am pretty certain that even if those were once eligible for a Windows refund, there would be a time limit on the order of 2-4 weeks after purchase.

pcgeekguru
August 4th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Probably cant get a refund but you can still sell them. I got a friend who has a dell and he might be interested in buying the copies. What model dell is it for?

forrestcupp
August 4th, 2010, 11:39 PM
2. Although still shrink wrapped was the OS used on the PC or PCs concerned? if so then benefit has been gained and a refund should not be gained.Right. Those are probably just backup CDs that they were nice enough to provide in case of an emergency. XP was preinstalled and used on two old computers. Since it was used, you are not eligible for a refund. Your mom wouldn't have two unused XP discs lying around. The only reason she had them is if they came with a computer that she used.

My understanding of the EULA for these is that they are sold for use on the machine for which they are sold with only and are not transferrable.This is right. Since XP was used, and they were OEM copies, you can't even legally sell them on ebay.

Note: The XP discs are meaningless and without value. The value is in the COA and product key. The product keys for those two discs have already been used. You could actually just buy licenses and keep using one of those discs to install on as many computers as you have licenses for.

thatguymark
August 4th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Note: The XP discs are meaningless and without value. The value is in the COA and product key. The product keys for those two discs have already been used.

The COA key on the case of the Dells I've worked on do not work, those discs contain some kind of volume key so when you install it doesn't ask you for a key nor does it need to be activated (but will go through WGA) which makes them pretty valuable. If the person with a machine in need of reinstallation never saved the key via a keyfinder program they would need the Dell disc.

BTW, this was the case with my fathers system so we know it originally shipped with a key other than what's on the sticker.

Edit: So it seems clear Dell blocked those keys. Funny you still see a case or a panel with the COA sticker being sold on eBay sometimes - not going to do any good if you're dealing with Dells. (and actually some other scenarios too I believe)

forrestcupp
August 5th, 2010, 07:02 PM
The COA key on the case of the Dells I've worked on do not work, those discs contain some kind of volume key so when you install it doesn't ask you for a key nor does it need to be activated (but will go through WGA) which makes them pretty valuable. If the person with a machine in need of reinstallation never saved the key via a keyfinder program they would need the Dell disc.

BTW, this was the case with my fathers system so we know it originally shipped with a key other than what's on the sticker.

Edit: So it seems clear Dell blocked those keys. Funny you still see a case or a panel with the COA sticker being sold on eBay sometimes - not going to do any good if you're dealing with Dells. (and actually some other scenarios too I believe)It sounds like a restore CD that isn't just Windows, but all the crap that originally comes on the computer. A lot of times, those don't work on other kinds of computers, so if that's what it is, it wouldn't be much use.

Even if you could use it to mass install Windows, it's still illegal to install Windows on a computer without a valid COA/key.

Chronon
August 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Bundled does not equal free.

EDIT:
@OP: However, those disks are copies of the OS that was already installed on your system by Dell. By using that system you have already agreed to Microsoft's terms. It doesn't matter whether or not the copy of the software is still shrink-wrapped. You (most likely) used the original and are not now entitled to a refund.

thatguymark
August 5th, 2010, 09:40 PM
It sounds like a restore CD that isn't just Windows, but all the crap that originally comes on the computer. A lot of times, those don't work on other kinds of computers, so if that's what it is, it wouldn't be much use.

Even if you could use it to mass install Windows, it's still illegal to install Windows on a computer without a valid COA/key.

That's not what I'm suggesting, and it is not a restore CD - it is a Windows install disc with the volume key which ONLY works on Dells. I accidentally installed with it on an HP once and it popped up with the 30 day activation icon, so there's some way in which it reads the hardware. Actually I understand some other bundled software work the same way.

Now if you really want to talk about the legality, I suppose there have been Dells that are sold with Ubuntu on it or other versions of Windows so it is potentially possible to do that. All I'm saying is the COA key on the sticker is not the one needed to do the actual install of Windows, and you simply cannot borrow a friends non-Dell copy and use that key to reinstall, nor can you install it with their key and use the Microsoft key update tool because again it wasn't supposed to be installed with the sticker key in the first place. So if you have no restore disc(s), and no hidden partition and/or just want to do a clean install without the bundled junkware then you need the Dell disc. The only other possibility is if you knew this ahead of time and used a keyfinder program and then update the generic install with the Dell volume key that shipped with your system.

Simply put the value here is in the ability to install, not ownership of a license.