PDA

View Full Version : What are Ipad Alternatives?

TheNerdAL
August 4th, 2010, 06:35 PM
So my cousin is going to get an iPad and the reason he says he's going to get it is for plans like calender and events and also using iBooks. I told him it's a waste of money just for that because a lot of other things do the same thing for a cheaper price.

Does anyone know an alternative to this? Thanks!

RiceMonster
August 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
You told him you can get something cheaper, but you don't know any alternatives? Nice!

TheNerdAL
August 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
You told him you can get something cheaper, but you don't know any alternatives? Nice!

I was thinking Dell Streak but he said it was like too small. I can't find any good Tablets. :P

sandyd
August 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM
go to ebay. theirs 10 gazillion android tablets avalible.

Onyros
August 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hehehe, RiceMonster.

I'd go for the Witstech A81, right now. It's even already running Android 2.2, and the company's workin' on it.

Only thing is it's a 7-incher, instead of a 10 inch tablet. It's running around 200 US dollars out there.

Zorgoth
August 4th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Actually I think the iPad is a pretty good choice as long as you aren't expecting to use it as a computer...

I think that there are fairly few alternatives right now, but if he can hold onto his money there will be a lot of android tablets coming out in 2011.

Right now I would recommend the Flatpad A10.

It costs $300, has Android, and has 1024x600 touch screen. However it is weak on storage space. And the iPad has a higher vertical screen resolution, if that's important.

I do think that by the end of 2011 there will be a lot of tablets with high resolutions, probably including the new iPad.

Look at the "List of Android Devices" on Wikipedia. It has a list of both current and future Android tablet PCs.

Ric_NYC
August 4th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Anything with a keyboard. That will make it productive. No typing on flat glass.

Revolutionary101
August 4th, 2010, 07:40 PM
A good alternative to the iPad would be the iPod touch or even an iPhone, if the iPads big screen isn't a must for you. Here is tablet created by Archos:

http://www.archos.com/products/nb/archos_9/index.html?country=us&lang=en

It has Windows 7 on it (which is not my favorite OS), but I would still recommend it over the iPad. It also has one USB port so you can transfer files to it via USB and possibly even put Ubuntu on it. This can do the things that the iPad can do and a lot more. Overall I think it is a better value than the iPad.

Edit: After reading some reviews of this tablet I would not recommend it unless you will be able to run it with Ubuntu. Reviewers have said that this is a horrible computer to put Windows 7 on. Looking at the specs it does look like Windows 7 is not the OS of choice for this computer. Also the touch screen is not very sensitive and you will practically need a stylus (which is included).