PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lemur Questions

murchball
August 4th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I have a few questions about the Lemur UltraThin.

Is it possible to purchase a Lemur without a disk drive? I would love to be able to put in a drive that I already have and then possibly upgrade to an SSD when prices go down.

How much longer will the battery last with an SSD instead of a hard drive? I'm not sure if you've tested this, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I've noticed in reading up on this laptop that many of the posts are about battery life. Does System76 have any plans to make any changes in regards to this? Is a larger battery in the works? Granted this would change the case profile and I'm not even sure if this would be possible since I haven't seen the case design in person (yet).

Thanks in advance!

Mark.ST
August 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM
How much longer will the battery last with an SSD instead of a hard drive?

Never did a comparison with a hard drive one, but my Lemur with an SSD lasts about 2.5 hours.

isantop
August 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM
It's not possible to buy a Lemur with no disk drive. You can always replace the drive with an SSD later, and keep the current spare for extra data, testing, or in case you need it later.

We see slight improvements in battery life with SSD's over HDD's. Usually about 15 minutes. Not incredibly significant.

The current Lemur should last about 3 hours on one charge. It's currently out of stock, and set to be replaced with a new version. We've done some testing, but not enough to say anything conclusive about the battery. I expect it will be about the same, but it could be totally different.

murchball
August 4th, 2010, 09:36 PM
New version? Don't keep us in suspense! What details can you give us?