PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Problems with new install of Lubuntu

crybllrd
August 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I just installed Lubuntu on my old laptop, but when it loads I just get a black screen and a mouse. I can move the mouse, but cant do anything else. A screensaver will eventually come on.

Also when I restart it it just goes to memtest. I cant seem to boot it into the operating system. the only way I can get in to the OS is to use the "Try lubuntu without installing" option. After the first install it did load, but just to the blank screen.

Can anyone help with either of my problems?

linux18
August 4th, 2010, 04:29 PM
-choose recovery mode at grub
-drop to a root prompt
-type "telinit 3" and logon
-type "xinit"
-after it loads type "openbox &" (you may need to wiggle the mouse before it registers)
-then type "lxpanel & xfdesktop & nm-applet &"
your good to go! a reboot will take you back into the normal DE

crybllrd
August 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Well, I installed Ubuntu 7.10 before, and it wouldn't run. On this forum it was diagnosed as my machine being too old and not powerful enough to run it.

So when I push Esc to enter GRUB, I see Ubuntu 7.10 but no Lubuntu.

How can I do this, or am I doing it wrong? Im new to LINUX

linux18
August 4th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Well, I installed Ubuntu 7.10 before, and it wouldn't run. On this forum it was diagnosed as my machine being too old and not powerful enough to run it.

So when I push Esc to enter GRUB, I see Ubuntu 7.10 but no Lubuntu.

How can I do this, or am I doing it wrong? Im new to LINUX
it will say ubuntu when it really is lubuntu.

crybllrd
August 4th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I dont see a recovery mode. When I press Esc for GRUB, My only options are 'e to edit commands before booting' or 'c for a comand-line'

crybllrd
August 4th, 2010, 05:57 PM
And my Lubuntu is 10.4, but Ubuntu 7.10 is the only one showing up

snowpine
August 4th, 2010, 06:14 PM
It sounds like the Lubuntu install failed and Ubuntu 7.10 is still installed. Can you run the Lubuntu Live CD in "live" mode with no change to your computer? Have you used the "check CD for defects" option to verify the burn? What are the specs of your computer (processor, RAM, video card, etc)?

crybllrd
August 4th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Oh, i did have a couple of errors.
Should I re burn it with the same ISO, or get a new one? If so, where can I get a reliable ISO?

snowpine
August 4th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Oh, i did have a couple of errors.
Should I re burn it with the same ISO, or get a new one? If so, where can I get a reliable ISO?

You can check the integrity of an ISO following these instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

The most reliable way to download is by using a torrent; torrent clients check the md5sum automatically.