PDA

View Full Version : The use of bottled oxygen

Monessen
August 4th, 2010, 04:13 PM
well my other thread has when missing with no reason given? maybe there is a fault with the forum ,

oh well, here goes,

does anyone like mountain climbing,

if you like climbing what do you think about climbers who use bottled oxygen, does it still count,

i mean you could get to the top by jumping out of a plane and using a parachute, but you wouldn't have climbed the mountain, would you,

well, what do you think?

):P

blithen
August 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I don't always herp, but when I herp I derp.

realzippy
August 4th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Does not count.
Look at all the garbage and tons of oxygen bottles on everest...

http://somergie.fr/images/icidsmonde/zoompays/nepal/magpdechet.jpg

http://blog.ekimondo.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/mount-everest-bonbonnes.jpg

Every idiot with enough money,sherpas,oxygen can climb mount everest.

betrunkenaffe
August 4th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'd say it still counts as climbing the mountain but anyone that is leaving them behind should be charged for littering... heavily because cleanup of that will be very tough.

Love how you can proclaim to love something and then ruin it for everyone.

Cuddles McKitten
August 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I'd say it still counts as climbing the mountain but anyone that is leaving them behind should be charged for littering... heavily because cleanup of that will be very tough.

I'd hate to have the job of enforcing that rule! Sitting in a hut at 28,000 feet all day on the trail to the top with no power would be both tedious and cold.

jerenept
August 4th, 2010, 08:19 PM
If only people had the discipline to clean up after themselves, or the consideration for the environment (Whichever comes first)

gnomeuser
August 4th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I'd hate to have the job of enforcing that rule! Sitting in a hut at 28,000 feet all day on the trail to the top with no power would be both tedious and cold.

It's my impression that there are only a few ways to get up the damn thing, so why not just sit at those points near the bottom, then count the number of tanks going up, count those going down. If difference > 0, issue gigantic fine.

Also a fee should be paid to the locals to finance clean up, after all not everyone who goes up, comes down.

whiskeylover
August 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM
It's my impression that there are only a few ways to get up the damn thing, so why not just sit at those points near the bottom, then count the number of tanks going up, count those going down. If difference > 0, issue gigantic fine.

Also a fee should be paid to the locals to finance clean up, after all not everyone who goes up, comes down.

Like the government of Nepal cares.

AlphaLexman
August 4th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Oxygen = Steroids.

It's cheating!

Get up the mountain by yourself, or just fly up there!... And ski down, awesome though!

Dustin2128
August 4th, 2010, 11:05 PM
for some reason, the thread title just made me think of spaceballs.
http://www.kamenlee.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/cannedair.JPG

markp1989
August 4th, 2010, 11:06 PM
well my other thread has when missing with no reason given? maybe there is a fault with the forum ,

oh well, here goes,

does anyone like mountain climbing,

if you like climbing what do you think about climbers who use bottled oxygen, does it still count,

i mean you could get to the top by jumping out of a plane and using a parachute, but you wouldn't have climbed the mountain, would you,

well, what do you think?

):P

i never done any major climbs, some of the smaler ones here (snowdon tryfan, and scafell pike), but none of them are high enough to need oxygen.

im not sure if it should count, or not tbh, i think for records and competitions it shouldnt be used, not sure about private climbers.

like another poster said, any one littering should be charged.

Austin25
August 5th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I'm not a climber. I'm a couch potato.

That being said, I would think not bringing oxygen up Everest would be like not bringing food camping.

realzippy
August 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM
BTW,why did Monessen get banned?

realzippy
August 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM

There is a huge fee paid already.Depending on the route (North/South)
it costs between 25.000 and 60.000 to get a license to climb everest.

chiliman
August 5th, 2010, 05:38 PM
There have been people who have scaled everest with no O2. But why bother putting yourself into that death trap. Id rather drive up Mt. Washington agian. http://www.mountwashington.org/
edit: lol even at the lowest base camp on everest the altitude it high enough to require O2 for altitude sickness.