PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unetbootin - normal install - comparable to using CD

thelatemail
August 4th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I have recently bought myself a shiny new Samsung N150 plus netbook and am hoping to ditch Windows7 for Ubuntu in the near future.

I have downloaded an iso file for Lucid desktop (not netbook) and used unetbootin to create a bootable usb drive. I can boot from the usb drive to a live environment running off the memory stick itself, but I don't have an option to install to the hdd like i'd normally get with booting from a ubuntu cd.

I just wanted to clarify what sort of install I will end up with if I use the 'install ubuntu desktop 10.04' desktop icon after booting to the live usb environment. Will this be a standard install to the hdd where I can tell it to wipe everything (including Windows7) and just leave ubuntu? Reading through the documentation for unetbootin and other forum posts has left me a bit confused about whether using this process will just install alongside Windows7.

Can anyone clarify what will happen for me?
Many thanks.

Elfy
August 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
If you install to the whole disk it will format the whole disk and you will only have ubuntu. If you install side by side you will have both.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

but I don't have an option to install to the hdd like i'd normally get with booting from a ubuntu cd.Do you mean that when you booted you did not get the menu with a few options - including install to the drive ? If that is the case it is how it is now - pressing any key apparently brings up the menu.

Running the installer from the desktop icon will work.

thelatemail
August 10th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Thanks for the advice - install worked as intended and am now enjoying using Ubuntu on my netbook instead of Windows 7.