PDA

View Full Version : help me - configuring squid with delay pools

manishsingh4u
April 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
Hi,
I am new to Kubuntu. I am using 5.10 Breezy Badger. I want to limit the bandwidth usage on per pc basis as one of my room mates is eating all the bandwith we have. Among the 4 PCs, mine is the only Linux box (and hence the best to be made a server...lol).

I have successfully configured and used squid over Fedora Core 1 and SuSE 9.1 by following this article ->
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/firewalls/Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO/install.html

I am using the same procedure which I did for them with Kubuntu. But I am getting some gcc errors. I have installed gcc by using apt-get install gcc. Here's what I get on the konsole.

root@Manish:/usr/squid# ./configure --prefix=/opt/squid --exec-prefix=/opt/squid --enable-delay-pools --enable-cache-digests --enable-poll --disable-ident-lookups --enable-truncate --enable-removal-policies
loading cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
root@Manish:/usr/squid#

Can anyone help me, how to overcome this gcc problem?

ash211
May 13th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Try installing the entire build-essential package:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

I'm not sure if squid is what you need to limit bandwidth, but have you tried just installing it via apt-get instead of compiling it?

sudo apt-get install squid

briancurtin
May 13th, 2006, 04:25 AM
try the support forums...