PDA

View Full Version : what is the difference between bios and chipset drivers?

nerdy_kid
August 3rd, 2010, 11:56 PM
so this has always nagged me, what is the difference between flashing the BIOS and installing a chipset driver? (see chipset drivers for windows computers all the time)

sorry for what is no doubt a very stupid question...

pricetech
August 4th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Actually it's a perfectly legitimate question.

When you flash the BIOS, you update the firmware, which is the code the BIOS uses to find your basic hardware, like your hard drive, your optical drive, your keyboard and mouse, etc. Updating the firmware usually adds some functionality to your BIOS, though you often don't see it in the menus.

The Chipset Driver, on the other hand, is like any driver. It allows your operating system to better address the motherboard's chipset, which includes high level functionality of USB ports, parallel ports, and so on. Best practice is to install the chipset driver first so your OS can better utilize the drivers for the other hardware.

I hope that helps.

nerdy_kid
August 4th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Actually it's a perfectly legitimate question.

When you flash the BIOS, you update the firmware, which is the code the BIOS uses to find your basic hardware, like your hard drive, your optical drive, your keyboard and mouse, etc. Updating the firmware usually adds some functionality to your BIOS, though you often don't see it in the menus.

The Chipset Driver, on the other hand, is like any driver. It allows your operating system to better address the motherboard's chipset, which includes high level functionality of USB ports, parallel ports, and so on. Best practice is to install the chipset driver first so your OS can better utilize the drivers for the other hardware.

I hope that helps.

helped a bunch, thanks :)

Tibuda
August 4th, 2010, 12:45 AM
You don't need a BIOS when you are using Linux, because GRUB replaces it during the boot. That's what I heard in the forums.

KiwiNZ
August 4th, 2010, 12:51 AM
You don't need a BIOS when you are using Linux, because GRUB replaces it during the boot. That's what I heard in the forums.

Hrmmmm well , we will ignore this .

KiwiNZ
August 4th, 2010, 12:54 AM
You may find these links a useful read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 4th, 2010, 01:34 AM

Hrmmmm well , we will ignore this .

I was struggling with a tactful way of replying to that post myself. Like asking the poster to boot the computer and notice if it said "Press [some key] for Setup", or "Press [some key] for Temporary Boot Order", etc. If it did then there was indeed a BIOS present despite what he heard.

However, I decided to let someone else have a go at it.