PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Empathy Ubuntu IRC

JasonFWard
August 3rd, 2010, 10:26 PM
OMG what a faff. I wanted to ask a question about OpenLDAP and common login for all my computers. I have a quick search on Ubuntu website, lots of stuff about LDAP but nothing that speaks to me, just deep documentation about how to configure it. First I just want to know is it something I should do or not. I know I think I'll ask on IRC says I, but boy oh boy can I get the Empathy thing to work? Just keeps telling me "network error", might as well say "you fail" it's just as useful. So again I search around, how do you get to talk on the #ubuntu channel thing? Many Googles and having read many documents about how to install Empathy or rival clients still no help, none, nothing about how to make 10.04 work, you know, get online to #ubuntu channel, it's the kind of thing I'd actually think Ubuntu came preconfigured to do, but nope, it doesn't even have documentation on how to do it. So... How do I make the empathy thingy in the top right of my screen connect to #ubuntu so I can talk to people? Jason

Elfy
August 3rd, 2010, 10:43 PM
no idea about empathy - terrible irc client anyway in my opinion.

There are others - there is also a webchat client at freenode

this link just needs a nick to get to #ubuntu

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntu

JasonFWard
August 3rd, 2010, 10:45 PM
I don't want to install another IRC client, Empathy is supposed to be the thing that communicates with everything and comes preinstalled in 10.04.

There should just be simple setup instructions.

Elfy
August 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
You need to install a package to get it to work it seems - I don't use it.

Optionally, you can add more functionality/integration with the following packages: # IRC: telepathy-idle

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Empathy

I didn't tell you to install anything - I gave you a way to get to the channel you apparently wanted to get to.

Though to be frank your first post appears to just be a troll.

cmcanulty
August 3rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
I installed Lernid with no luck but then XChat-gnome which works great