PDA

View Full Version : Sc ii

Zirts
August 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hi,

I'm a real fan of SC II and I'm planning to buy it but does anyone have an idea if it will work on this PC: kaspar.risk.ee/qq

All the info about that PC is on that page. Video card is ati radeon 9550 btw.

Also I'm pretty sure that it wont run on ubuntu so I'm planning on geting a windows just for that game, but anyone has an idea if it will work with windows 7 too on that PC or only with XP?

Zirts

dfreer
August 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=26242&locale=en_US
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-radeon-hd-geforce-gtx,2676-7.html

I really doubt it would. The minimum recommend graphics card is a ATi Radeon 9800 PRO, which is two steps above the 9550 according to tomshardware's graphics card comparison chart. As for windows 7 vs xp, seems like Starcraft recommends 1.5 GB's of RAM for windows 7 but only 1 GB for xp.

Zorgoth
August 3rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
For the cost of getting Windows, you could get a decent nVidia card and run SC ii under wine, and get much better performance (although I don't know about how that would go with your cpu...).

- if you can upgrade the cpu as well you could get a Celeron Dual Core e3300 for $50 and a 50-100 dollar graphics card (like a gt 240 or 9600 gt). You could easily get away with a GT 220 and those are firt cheap; my uncle picked one up for $40 for my cousin's desktop. Upgrading the memory to at least 2GB would help too for that matter...

That is just not a computer that looks to me like it is capable of any real gaming.

Basically, either find an AMD cpu that fits your motherboard and is better, or else empty the case and rebuild from scratch, or if you aren't comfortable with that... buy a new pc

EDIT: I was being silly with the processor since celeron obviously would need a whole new machine. Go for an AMD athlon 64 if you want to play games.

Bachstelze
August 3rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
>>I'm a real fan of SC II
>>I'm planning to buy it

lolwut?

Zirts
August 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Means I have played Starcraft I from the years when it was out and I'm still playing it, now that Starcraft II is out, I have read all the reviews, played it on friends PC and I love it and it's time to get one for my self too.

I'm thinking about buying a completely new PC now as the one I have wright now is indeed just too old, I have used it for 8 years now for playing SC I, WC III and WoW.

Anyway, I found this PC with a good price for me:
AMD Gamer Lite

• Protsessor: AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz
• Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-US3
• RAM: 2GB DDRII DDR800
• Harddrive: 500GB SATAII 7200rpm
• DVD rom: DVDRW DVD-/+RW
• Soundcard: int.
• Videocard: HD5670 512MB GDDR5
• NET: 10/100 int.

389.22 EUR

and this one:

• Protsessor: Intel Pentium Dual Core E6500 2.93GHz
• Motherboard: Intel G41
• RAM: 4GB DDRIII 1333MHz
• Harddrive: 500GB SATAII 7200rpm
• DVD : DVDRW DVD-/ +RW
• Sound: int.
• Videocard: nVidia 9800GT 512MB DDR3
• NET: 10/ 100 int.
• Power: ATX400W
389.22 EUR

I have read now about the ATI card and people say it's a pretty decent mid-price videocard, but on the otherhand it might not work that good with Ubuntu.

The nVidia one will probably work pretty good though, but I'm not sure about thoes Intel processors as I have heard many of my friends complain about em'.

Zorgoth
August 3rd, 2010, 09:45 PM
nVidia, get it, don't look back. I have two ATI cards and have dealt with nVidia cards and nVidia is much better. The ATI card is a considerably faster card, but I think you will find that for gaming under wine, the nVidia will perform better. Also the nVidia machine has 4 GB of memory instead of 2GB and the memory is much faster.

Zorgoth
August 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
Although... maybe computers are more expensive where you live, but I think you should be able to get a better machine for less money... Of course in the US we don't have VAT.

Of course if you wanted a project building a computer is much cheaper :)

(It isn't as scary as it sounds)

- fundamentally a computer consists of
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Video Card
Power Supply
Case/Fans
CD Drive

The only things you need to check compatibility with are Motherboard/CPU/RAM.

A leatherman or swiss army knife is the only tool you need,

The cost of making the computer you are buying would be on the order of 350 USD here (so 260-270 euros). Don't know about in Europe.

Legendary_Bibo
August 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Go for the one with Nvidia. I have an ATI graphics card on my laptop, and it can't seem to do everything. It might do one thing but have issues with another. It did this for Windows too. Also you have more memory, so it should run SCII beautifully. My brother ran SCII on my dad's Win7 computer and it was an ATI HD Radeon something (I don't remember the number) 512mb and he played it on full resolution with a lot of settings on high, and the rest on medium.

LowSky
August 4th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Both machines have very odd configurations.
The AMD is ripping you off with half the RAM, then Intel machine is giving you a much older graphics card.

Danimoth
August 4th, 2010, 01:39 AM
SC2 plays flawlessly under wine. I get lower fps than in windows, but no bugs/crashes whatsoever under current Ubuntu 10.04(fully updated).

Just finished the game actually, played it all under wine. I was playing on brutal difficulty, so now I will go replay some missions on normal/hard for may of the achievements.

betrunkenaffe
August 4th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Works in Windows on my laptop (lower settings of course).

It's a Panp4 with following specs:

*Processor : Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 3 MB L2 (25 Watt)
+ $160.00
*Memory : 4 GB - DDR2 800 MHz - 2 DIMMs
+ $50.00
*Hard Drive : 320 GB 5400 RPM SATA II

And Nvidia 9300M GS graphics card.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9300M-GS.9452.0.html

It slows down a little when there are alot of things on the screen or during a few cutscenes but hardly a deal breaker considering it's a laptop and my desktop mobo should be here within the week :)