PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu Installation Problem: Failed Due to Unknown User ID

Aspen95
August 3rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Hi,
Whenever I try to install Xubuntu onto my really old computer (not this one), it goes to a screen that shows nothing except the Xubuntu logo and the name. After a bit, my monitor falls asleep, and I am unable to wake it back up.
If I press enter while at this screen, it brings up the error message in the title. The same thing happens with all the options I try to press.

Can anyone help me out?

anglican
August 4th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Hi,
Whenever I try to install Xubuntu onto my really old computer (not this one), it goes to a screen that shows nothing except the Xubuntu logo and the name. After a bit, my monitor falls asleep, and I am unable to wake it back up.
If I press enter while at this screen, it brings up the error message in the title. The same thing happens with all the options I try to press.

Can anyone help me out?Can you boot to a login in "Recovery" mode. If that works try
sudo service gdm start I had similar issues on an old PC and found that this way booted to the desktop and then installing latest updates solved the problem.

H