PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] replacing fedora with ubuntu?

grobar87
August 3rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hi,
I have ubuntu lucid on my laptop,and fedora 13 on pc with separate home partiton.I want to know is ti possible to install ubuntu on my pc without formatting all hard disk,just to format /root partition with fedora on it?Home partiton will work on ubuntu?The file system is ext4.I ask this becouse i don't have external hard disk for my files and i want ubuntu on my pc.
Thanks.

snowpine
August 3rd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Hi Grobar, if I understand your question correctly, you are asking if it is a good idea to install Ubuntu without backing up your data first? The answer of course is "no" and I strongly recommend buying/borrowing some kind of external media to back up your data.

Once you have a solid backup, yes, you should be able to install Ubuntu using the manual partitioning options to mount the existing partition as /home without formatting it. You should of course use a different username so that you are creating a new account, that way your Fedora config files won't mess with your Ubuntu settings. :)

grobar87
August 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks snowpine.I will find a way to buckup my data first...:)
So if i understand correctly all linux distros can use same /home partiton,but with same file system?
For example if i want to install opensuse 11.3 on ubuntu lucid partiton (formating just /root partion)...everything will works fine...home partiton,swap partiton?

snowpine
August 3rd, 2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks snowpine.I will find a way to buckup my data first...:)
So if i understand correctly all linux distros can use same /home partiton,but with same file system?
For example if i want to install opensuse 11.3 on ubuntu lucid partiton (formating just /root partion)...everything will works fine...home partiton,swap partiton?

Yes, you can share the same /home partition between several distros, so long as you use different usernames for each (so the files are separate).

Another option is to use a separate partition that's just for data, then it never gets touched if you install/reinstall the operating system.

grobar87
August 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
Yes, you can share the same /home partition between several distros, so long as you use different usernames for each (so the files are separate).

Another option is to use a separate partition that's just for data, then it never gets touched if you install/reinstall the operating system.
Yes i like your opinion for separate partition just for data.
Thanks...things are much clearer for me now...and sorry for my bad english :p