PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] revert to default color schemes

ilazria
August 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I don't know what I did, but I've made a mess of my desktop. Even trying to change themes, color schemes. anything, it's just awful. The fonts in some places are so similar in color that I can't read the words on the buttons. It started out when I installed the GreenHeart control theme from http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2?page=2 . For some reason, this made the font in some e-mails in Evolution a light grey, but the background was white, so I could barely see the words. So I dug and found the button to turn off "use the same fonts as other applications." That helped there, but everything else is still a mess, and I can't find a way to revert to the default so I can just start over. I just want to go back to how it looks fresh after install.

If the answer involves terminal commands, could you please put it in "terminal-noob?" I've had some experience with using the terminal, but I'm still pretty new to all of this. What may seem like an obvious step and unnecessary to mention, may be something I haven't caught on to yet.

phildini
August 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
So, just to be clear, have you tried going through System > Preferences > Appearance and setting everything back to default?

ilazria
August 5th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I managed to tweak things using Gnome Color Chooser. I still couldn't figure out how to put everything back to default to start over. There is no revert to default button in any of the Appearance tabs, so I had tried just choosing the ones I thought were the originals. I also originally reverted to default in Gnome Color Chooser. Things were still messed up, so I tried changing the Firefox theme a couple of times, and painstakingly going through each option in Gnome Color Chooser to make sure of what was changing what. Somewhere along the way, I managed to make things look less like a rainbow puked on my desktop. It looks decent enough, so I guess in a way I solved my own problem. Sorry to have bugged everyone.

FallFromGrace
August 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM
It would be nice to know if there's a "restore to defaults" option in the the GUI. Did you try selecting all of the default themes? Usually if you put in a custom theme it's saved as "custom" and you can go back to Humanity or whatever.

ilazria
August 6th, 2010, 06:14 PM
It would be nice to know if there's a "restore to defaults" option in the the GUI. Did you try selecting all of the default themes? Usually if you put in a custom theme it's saved as "custom" and you can go back to Humanity or whatever.

I tried out each one of the basics that come preloaded. It didn't put everything back to the original. In some places, the buttons stayed the custom color, in others, the font stayed the same. I tried downloading various different themes from the website to try them, and I kept running into the same problem. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly which parts were clashing :(

Again, I'm not sure if it was maybe Firefox Themes causing the problem, or if I somehow overwrote the default settings. My Firefox Theme at the time was a green type to match the desktop.