PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Out of range

Drui
August 3rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
"In order to use the disk I have to press F1 to gain the boot menu.
using F6 and the nomodeset its about the fifth option. this then allows me to load the disk or install etc. If I dont do this then all I get is an " Out Of Range" on the display and have to switch off the PC to rectify this. then restart using the F6 option. If I try to Boot from first disk in the menu then even using the F6 option still the screen displays Out of Range.
I think the boot process is changing the monitor perameters, and I can find no way to alter this
or to stop the boot to get a command prompt. I did try vga=771 in the disk boot menu option but this had no effect either. I have no other operating system on the machine that is a gigabite duel core with 2 gb ram, onboard nvidia, and a 17" YURAKU monitor model MJ7C. I cant change any settings to the hard disk using the live disk as it doesnt allow. So although I have installed
ubantu 10.04 on the hard disk I cant access it in any way! please help! I really do want to use this rather than windows!!!! Mick"
Update: I have reloaded windows xp and now after reloading ubuntu latest version, I now get a boot menu that gives options.
if I select the Ubuntu option it within a few seconds(2) shows out of range! It is possible to get a command prompt from this menu, but I cannot find what command will overide the ubuntu boot commands! yet if it is possible in the disc boot F6 menu, then it follows that it must be possible in the hard disk boot menu? (ie no mode set)Messing about in windows and changing the refresh rate to low then attempting to set a high (1280x1024)
display mode generates a Out of range message. So Im almost sure here lies the problem! Been at this for days (sigh) Help!!!

Drui
August 3rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
PS. My Monitors Max is 75hz 1280x1024. It has an auto adjust feature that cannot be disabled, It is LCD. about 2-3 years old.
And although not the latest model, Its still relatively current. So I cant understand this!

fleamour
August 3rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Try a spare monitor if you can. If that fails, the finger may be pointing at your graphics card (unless onboard.)

If your setup works fine with Windows then this is not a lot of help. But things do go wrong with age, so you never know.

Drui
August 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a spare monitor. One point is that after hitting c at the boot menu, I get a grub menu, hitting Tab gives the options available. but its not obvious to me which option!! I have tried some but no luck. Very frustrating!
However thanks for your reply :)

Drui
August 3rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
PS Yes my Graphics card is onboard. But the fact that using the nomodeset
option in the disk menu allows access with no problems, would indicate that my pc etc is all ok. So I just need to stop ubuntu presetting graphics?