PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu for my laptop, desktop or netbook version?

Kharlo
August 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Which linux for my laptop?
HP Compaq N4400
1gb of ram, 80GB HDD core duo 1.83ghz

I’ve been having problem installing windows since the laptop doesn’t have optical unit, and the windows XP distribution that i have available doesnt seem to support smart sata dives, so im going for ubuntu by now...
so here is where my concern come about:
ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04lts (the last time i installed 10.04 on my desktop i had the missing gnome panel issue on each startup)

the 9.10 or 10.04, which should i install? the desktop or the netbook?
Because this is not a netbook, its a full laptop only that it has a 12 inches screen.

heimo
August 3rd, 2010, 03:08 PM
Personally I'd try 10.04LTS live CD, and if it worked, that's what I'd install on that kind of computer. "Plain" Ubuntu, not netbook version. It has XGA display ( 1024x768 ), right? I have pretty similar laptop and run regular Ubuntu on it. Works quite nicely for all basic tasks (1GB RAM and quite low screen resolutions are probably the most limiting factor).

snowpine
August 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook have very different user interfaces. I would recommend Googling some screenshots and/or trying a Live CD/USB of each to see which you prefer.

10.04 is the better choice since it is more current (April 2010 instead of October 2009) and will be supported longer (April 2013). Again, the Live CD/USB will be your guide as to compatibility.

ajgreeny
August 3rd, 2010, 03:59 PM
I have a netbook, a laptop and a desktop and have the standard ubuntu on all three.

I tried the netbook version but did not get on with the interface, so I use the standard gnome GUI on all of the machines.

There is nothing magic about the UNR version for netbooks; some people like it others don't. Try it out and if you like it keep it, if not just choose the standard gnome desktop when you get to the login screen and it will look like all other ubuntu GUIs.

Kyentei
August 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
I have a netbook, a laptop and a desktop and have the standard ubuntu on all three.

I tried the netbook version but did not get on with the interface, so I use the standard gnome GUI on all of the machines.

There is nothing magic about the UNR version for netbooks; some people like it others don't. Try it out and if you like it keep it, if not just choose the standard gnome desktop when you get to the login screen and it will look like all other ubuntu GUIs.

Exactly. I think UNE 10.10 will be quite more magic though ;-)

As other people are saying though, use a live CD/USB to see what you prefer. The act of gnome-panels disappearing is not an ubuntu-wide issue, so it probably won't happen again ;-) (not even on your desktop)

Kharlo
August 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
ok, i choose normal version a,d run great

thanks!

how do i marke this post as solved?

heimo
August 3rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
how do i marke this post as solved?

There's a "thread tools" menu, choose "mark this thread as solved".