PDA

View Full Version : Please vote on a serious unzip bug fix!

PryGuy
August 3rd, 2010, 10:19 AM
Good day everyone!
There's a serious bug in the 'unzip' package (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unzip/+bug/580961) used by the File Roller. It is known at least since 2005 and affects all the zip files with non-ASCII filenames, for example archives with Russian (Japanese, you name it) filenames created on a Windows PC. This bug is one of the things that stop Linux spread across desktops all over the world!

Pledge a bounty for this bug to be fixed please! To do it just open the link above, click on "Does this bug affect you?" link and choose "Yes, it affects me".

Thanks in advance!

neoargon
August 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
OK I too am annoyed by it

RiceMonster
August 3rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
I always find it funny that people think one bug that affects them is what is preventing Linux adoption.

Lucradia
August 3rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
That's not the only problem with archivers around here...

PeaZip can't even open Japanese folders by double clicking them, nor can it extract archives with japanese names.

It'll say that it doesn't exist. Though, I've only had it happen in windwos so far, lol. Haven't had time for linux.

PryGuy
August 3rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
I always find it funny that people think one bug that affects them is what is preventing Linux adoption.
RiceMonster, here you go again... Is it so hard to understand that this bug affects many people outside the English speaking countries?

RiceMonster
August 3rd, 2010, 07:09 PM
Is it so hard to understand that this bug affects many people outside the English speaking countries?

Nope, but is Linux adoption going to suddenly skyrocket when this one bug is fixed?

PryGuy
August 3rd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Believe me or not, but in my case - yes. I install Linux on clients' machines and this seems to be a cornerstone for them.

Linuxforall
August 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Considering that Linux is getting far more adaption in non english speaking countries, its high time this bug should be addressed and fixed. Many countries in Eastern Europe, Asia and now Africa are adapting Linux faster than before and with bigger share, to pooh pooh bugs would only mean that Linux is not interested in those whose native language is not English and this would be Linux's loss.

cariboo
August 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Shouldn't this bug be reported upstream on Bugzilla?

PryGuy
August 3rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
I'll track it tomorrow :)

Bachstelze
August 3rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
AFAIK there no standard encoding for non-ASCII characters in ZIP files, so could as well be a bug in the Windows program used to create the particular files.

Just use 7zip. ZIP is pretty much obsolete anyway.

KiwiNZ
August 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM

But we can let this thread do what the OP intended ...

PryGuy
August 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
AFAIK there no standard encoding for non-ASCII characters in ZIP files, so could as well be a bug in the Windows program used to create the particular files.

Just use 7zip. ZIP is pretty much obsolete anyway.
He he... How do I tell it people that use zip in Windows? Most of them will fight their right to use the buggy Zip archiver! ;)

Bachstelze
August 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM
He he... How do I tell it people that use zip in Windows? Most of them will fight their right to use the buggy Zip archiver! ;)

You don't, but don't blame it on Ubuntu if the ZIP format is stupid.

utilitytrack
August 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hello, PryGuy. We are neighbours with you))

Thanks that you noticed us about this problem. I saw the issues with encodings on more recent versions of unzip (6.0). While previous versions (5.52) no had this troubles. I think that we'll can fix this defect only if will be forcing the developers.

Bachstelze
August 4th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I think that we'll can fix this defect only if will be forcing the developers.

"We have ways to make you... fix this 'defect'."

PryGuy
August 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM
You don't, but don't blame it on Ubuntu if the ZIP format is stupid.Calm down please, I don't blame anybody. There is a problem. It should be fixed. This problem exists in other Linux distros as well...

"We have ways to make you... fix this 'defect'."You had to correct the guy, right? ;)

utilitytrack
August 4th, 2010, 09:32 PM
"We have ways to make you... fix this 'defect'."

I have a great think: don't be a silent. And you will see that problem will be solved through some time.

"This problem exists in other Linux distros as well..."

Yes but somehow russians only be worried on this :)

spoons
August 4th, 2010, 10:00 PM
In Soviet Russia, bug fixes YOU!

utilitytrack
August 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM
PryGuy did you understand a spoons' words? I don't.

spoons
August 4th, 2010, 11:03 PM
utilitytrack, sorry for the confusion, it's a joke, it might not be understandable if you don't have a fluent grasp of english.

I hope you get your problem fixed.

utilitytrack
August 5th, 2010, 02:17 AM
to spoons,

believe me I'm understand english not worse than you. And I declare that you shouldn't speak about what you don't know much.

MCVenom
August 5th, 2010, 02:59 AM
to spoons,

believe me I'm understand english not worse than you. And I declare that you shouldn't speak about what you don't know much.
So, I hear you're new to these here intarwebs :P

It's a harmless (and overused) meme. It's nothing offensive. :|