PDA

View Full Version : 1 Down, more to come!

gymsmoke
April 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Well, my first Ubuntu workstation is up and running. After a narrow escape from the evil clutches of bizarro-world (M$), I fearlessly formatted the box (after careful backups - :???: ) and setup Breezy Badger... Aside from a couple of slight wrinkles ](*,) Lexmark and a webcam, specifically (which I still haven't gotten figured out)...

I'm turning my attention to my laptop, which also needs liberating. It's a Dell Inspiron 8600 with the following configuration:
Intel 82855PM Processor
512M RAM
40Gb Ultra ATA drive
cd/dvd reader/writer
USB 1.1 and 2.0
Firewire 1394 controller
Broadcom ethernet
Intel PRO wireless (IPW2100)
AC'97 controller (audio/modem)
nVidia NV34M [GeForce FX Go 5200]
Texas Instruments PCI4510 PC card Cardbus Controller

Does anyone know of any "gotcha's" with putting Ubuntu 5.10 on this system?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

So far, my searches haven't turned up much to say that it wouldn't work, but I thought I'd ask here as well, since someone may have already installed Ubuntu on one of these and seen something that I haven't yet...

bonzodog
April 3rd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Looking at that, i would say it should just work.

taurus
April 3rd, 2006, 02:37 PM
I don't think you should have any problem with that laptop! And of course, you can always post your problems in an appropriate areas...

mstlyevil
April 3rd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Download and try the live CD first to see what problems may arise before you install Ubuntu to your hard drive. This is the best way to determine if it will work out for you without commiting to any changes first.

gymsmoke
April 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the votes of confidence! It looks like we'll go full cappo-buntu steam ahead...

mstyl - thanks for the cautionary word, but after my second go-round with bill and his bizarro environment, I made a complete backup of the first box, wiped it, and plunged... I'm willing to have another go at it... So far, I haven't been disappointed at all -- I was around the old Unix back in the late 70's, and am really happy about being back in the saddle... between that comfort level and the community support here, I'm pretty confident that the change will feel as good as the first time I rebooted my main workstation and saw Ubuntu instead of M$ ....

Al3xanR0
April 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
You may want to start here (http://www.linux-laptop.net/).