PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Yahoo! Problems

uRock
August 3rd, 2010, 04:47 AM
On one of my Karmic machines(64bit) I am having issues with using the Yahoo Beta functions. It has a hard time running the java that makes the instant emails display, but more importantly I am having issues with uploading attachments to emails, which causes the page to freeze.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or does anyone know what might fix it?

Thanx,
uRock

nhasian
August 3rd, 2010, 07:34 AM
what is the output of the terminal command:

java -version

uRock
August 3rd, 2010, 11:55 PM
uRock@uRock java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

nhasian
August 4th, 2010, 12:05 AM
thats the same java i have and yahoo works fine. lets see if you have any other java installed. please use the terminal command:

sudo update-java-alternatives -l

uRock
August 4th, 2010, 12:18 AM
thats the same java i have and yahoo works fine. lets see if you have any other java installed. please use the terminal command:

sudo update-java-alternatives -l

uRock@uRock sudo update-java-alternatives -l
[sudo] password for ronnie:
java-6-sun 63 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun

nhasian
August 4th, 2010, 02:49 AM
i'm out of ideas. i dont know why your yahoo is not working properly. i have the same exact output of those terminal commands as you do so we are both running the same java. I even sent myself an email with a 600k image attachment and it went through just fine.

uRock
August 4th, 2010, 03:18 AM
And you are using the Yahoo Beta? I guess I'll try installing Lucid and see if that makes the difference.

Thanx for your help,
uRock

nhasian
August 4th, 2010, 08:39 AM
And you are using the Yahoo Beta? I guess I'll try installing Lucid and see if that makes the difference.

below your avatar it already said you were using Lucid...

how do i know if I'm on yahoo beta or not? sometimes when i go to mail.yahoo.com it asks me if i want classic yahoo or the new yahoo and i always do the new one.

mastablasta
August 4th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Yahoo is strange on linux. i have 32bit 10.04, sometimes it really reacts slow. i am not sure what they are doing there, because others sites don't have any issues.

uRock
August 4th, 2010, 03:08 PM
below your avatar it already said you were using Lucid...

how do i know if I'm on yahoo beta or not? sometimes when i go to mail.yahoo.com it asks me if i want classic yahoo or the new yahoo and i always do the new one.
The PC I am working on is the HP in my signature.(the wife's) I'll have to wait for my wife to log into hers to get a screenshot of it. I use the old version of Yahoo that looks like this and requires opening a new page to see each email.

uRock
August 4th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I went ahead and moved mine to the New version, not called beta anymore.